Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Just for the record, you are thoroughly wrong here. Spurs won their next two games (including beating United 3-0) and closed the gap to 5 points. At that stage we were ten points behind.

Throughout this conversation, I have never used the term 'meaningfully challenged'. I have referred to Spurs' challenges over two years not being entirely convincing, and to them being very much an outside bet. As much as you would like his to not be the case, I'm afraid it is.

One can argue that their challenge two years ago was not much more convincing than ours. I think perspective is important here as their challenge was far better than anyone expected from them and ours was quite a bit weaker. Around february we looked well placed to mount a serious challenge but our form dipped considerably. Their form continued to improve giving a sense of momentum.

Obviously, this trend continued into the following season where we got progressively worse and they continued to improve.
You say our form dipped considerably while theirs improved from Feb onwards, yet between the start of Feb and the start of April they'd only amassed five more points than us, which hardly supports your assessment.