Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: C'mon out MONTY!!! We want to talk football with you

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I wouldn't mind one freak season.
    Not for me, Clive. That's why sticking with Wenger makes sense - it's our best chance of building a dynasty.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Did you ultimately not make a bollócks of the whole empire thing?
    You'll need to talk to those left behind there, I think.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Did you ultimately not make a bollócks of the whole empire thing?
    I think we just got out when we'd taken all the valuables we wanted.

In your case, potatoes and thick lads with big hands to build roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    In other words, no club (whether they've stuck with the same manager or chopped and changed every year or two) has managed to successfully challenge the hegemony of clubs that have either been financially doped or have come from a historical base of being a far bigger and richer club.
    How is that relevant to the discussion, though? We are one of those historically big clubs not to mention being one of the ten richest clubs in the world.

So the relevant question is whether or not any of the other clubs in that bracket would accept the same manager failing consistently to challenge for, or win, the league for the same reasons over a ten year period without replacing him.

And I think the answer to that is a very clear 'no'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I think we just got out when we'd taken all the valuables we wanted.

In your case, potatoes and thick lads with big hands to build roads.
    I wasn't trying to be contentious, simply I would not be as knowledgeable as others on your chequered past.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    As always, Leicester are the racially unacceptable term in this particular woodpile.
    B. Dortmund and Atletico Madrid?

Not for me, Clive. That's why sticking with Wenger makes sense - it's our best chance of building a dynasty.
    What does a dynasty mean in football?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

In other words, no club (whether they've stuck with the same manager or chopped and changed every year or two) has managed to successfully challenge the hegemony of clubs that have either been financially doped or have come from a historical base of being a far bigger and richer club.
    Which is very different from your original point and discounts the fact that Spurs are, arguably, currently doing exactly that with a turnover substantially lower than ours.

Once you bring resources into the argument you have to face the question of whether we are making the best of ours, regardless of whether that challenges the financially doped or historically bigger. Its tough to argue that we are.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    How is that relevant to the discussion, though? We are one of those historically big clubs not to mention being one of the ten richest clubs in the world.

So the relevant question is whether or not any of the other clubs in that bracket would accept the same manager failing consistently to challenge for, or win, the league for the same reasons over a ten year period without replacing him.

And I think the answer to that is a very clear 'no'.
    Right, and demonstrably they wouldn't accept it as they've all opted for another method - changing the manager every season or two. And has it worked? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    What does a dynasty mean in football?
    Thank you R.

Saves me the bother.