Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
So (and I am only throwing this out there.. this isn't my view) you would be happy to lock up people indefinately .. obviously your 1000 people is a number you plucked from thin air... as is the 95%, and amongst those 1000 there must be a strong possibilty that you would get entirely innocent members of the public who just happen to be muslim being locked away for years.... I think i can see problems ahead.

you do seem to have a radical reasoning for terrorism, I seem to remember you and Rich (not the best side to be on) thought that the French shouldjust go and shoot the lights out at a hostage situation a few yeasrs ago as all hostages were likely to be dead..... they weren't and i do believe they nearly all gto out unharmed.
Well I have absolutely no memory of the second thing you mention, so if you don't mind, I'll just dismiss that as böllocks I never said.

The 1,000 people is a number I picked from listening to a security expert on Radio 4 this morning tallking in general terms about how many UK residents are currently on terror watch lists. The 95% stands to reason, since every terrorist attacker we have is invariably 'known to the security services', so it follows logically that if you take everyone who is known to the security services off the streets, you will dramatically reduce the risk of terrorist attacks. That is simply common sense. What is not common sense is having these people out there, knowing they are dangerous and doing nothing.
The chances of detaining anyone who is entirely innocent who 'just happens to be muslim' is vanishingly small unless you believe that the security services currently have people on their lists who have never supported, espoused or proselytised for Islamic terrorism. Are they really that incompetent, do you think?