Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
I think the problem with salesmen is that they think (yes, I know it is their job) that I am stupid enough to believe their bollix, so am forced in return to think that they are stupid to think that I am that stupid.

Of course, Monty could be right and that deep down I do generally think people are stupid, but a strongly-developed layer of morality disapproves of such sneering, arrogant condescenion by covering it up with a fog of warm respect. I doubt it, though. i don't think I'm clever enough to do that.
Or maybe you have just matured and realised that the fact that somebody might be a bit stupid doesn't mean you are required to dislike them or look down your nose at them. I know some fairly stupid people that are great fun. I value that......

Its a salesman's job to believe that either you are stupid enough or they are brilliant enough to convince someone that isn't stupid. Delusion seems to be an important part of the role which is why self-aware people like the two of us would never be great at it.

Its also why we get our round in (I am assuming you do)