Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
Agree 100%. I hardly ever watch telly, but his TV review was always the first thing I read on a Sunday before the non-fiction book reviews.

I used to hate the weeks when some other muppet was writing it instead. Never bothered to read them after trying a few times. Now every week will be like that. It was only by reading them that I found out about shows I should actually watch on iPlayer, like the Hollow Crown or The Night Manager.

Now I'll probably not watch tv again. Great.

My beloved saw him speak at the Sheffield Documentary Festival and said he was great, too. Around the time he was getting all that **** for offing a baboon.

And the restaurant reviews, even though I never go out to eat. It was great learning about the history and origin of food.

But some of his best stuff was the travel. I remember his recent thing on the Calais Jungle. "Every kid in every refugee camp says they want to be a doctor when they grow up. They want to heal the world." Something like that.

Yes, AA Gill, you will be sorely missed.
Of all the celebrity deaths in 2016, this is the only one to really touch me as I will miss his work terribly.

Other than the baboon bothering, obvs. Mind you, baboons are nasty aggressive búggers, and baboon shít is the worst thing to get on your shoe.

I am full of admiration for his insistence that his Savile Row suits were all lined with scarves from Hermes. Now that is style.

I wonder if The Wolseley will set up his usual table the way they did for Lucien Freud?