Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: So this moron has been arrested and charged for wearing an offensive t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    On balance, possibly.. If you remove the t-shirt element and create a different scenario where someone repeatedly bellows the word **** in an open shopping centre, would you not expect the police or some type of security to move in at some point ?
    But it isn't the same. It's not remotely the same. Being able to avert one's eyes from something we'd rather not see is very different from someone screaming in our ear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    But it isn't the same. It's not remotely the same. Being able to avert one's eyes from something we'd rather not see is very different from someone screaming in our ear.
    It's not the same but there is a link. Averting one's eyes is not a solution in any real sense as you'd need to actually take in the offensive wording before doing so, no ?

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    It's not the same but there is a link. Averting one's eyes is not a solution in any real sense as you'd need to actually take in the offensive wording before doing so, no ?
    OH NOES I HAVE SEEN A BAD WORD! GOUGE OUT MINE EYES!

People go out of their way to get offended by things and then over-react.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    OH NOES I HAVE SEEN A BAD WORD! GOUGE OUT MINE EYES!

People go out of their way to get offended by things and then over-react.
    Well that's one way of looking at it. You'd have to see it from other perspectives. Yes.. I'd be offended if some prick was that desperate for attention that they'd risk going to the lengths to use such an offensive term in front of my young children.
    In my world it could be deemed as something of a challenge as to whether or not anyone was actually going to do anything about it.
    It shows a total lack of respect towards anyone possessing an ounce of decency.
    I'd suggest if someone took him by the arm and into a quiet alley and kicked the living **** out of him, the majority of people wouldn't be rushing to his aid ?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Well in a better, simpler time, the police would never have needed to get involved, since society would have self-policed, the fellow would simply have been rendered a few teeth lighter and nobody would even have considered involving plod. Now, though, everyone wants to get offended or screech about their rights, but they all want some other **** to do the dirty work for them. We're all about rights without responsibilities these days.
    And, of course, many would actually agree with the sentiments expressed on the t-shirt while being appalled at the wearer's lack of social subtlety and public discretion. But often the nuance of this particular view will get lost and ignored in the noise created by those who object to the message itself.

Thank God for Twitter, I suppose
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."