Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading Sam Harris on gun control, it is a bit stupid how people

Any points Barry lost for crying he gained for this

The kickaway at the end

He does not suggest banning, restricting or severely limiting the use of cars

Merely a small reduction of the speed limit, even by so little that its effect on the economy is probably negligible, would almost certainly save many lives. Why do we choose not to do so?

It is very much an ethical and philosophical issue, and you inadvertently prove that. It's about the ethics of objects and what they represent in our minds based on their cultural meaning.

Yes, that has nothing to do with my manhood though

Anybody would think he was a politician, wouldn't they.

Somalia?

You would say that though, wouldn't you.

Yes, and if you live in a country where 300 million of the things are

knocking around, is there not a large degree of rationality behind wanting to own one yourself.

Put it this way, the second you were confronted by someone with a gun, and were offered one by a passer by, what would you do?

You are conflating two issues: 1) the motives of people wanting to own guns, which can range from being despicable to utterly logical, and 2)what should be done about the fact America's clear and undeniable gun problem

No, the only people who have guns there are the bad guys, including us.

Nobody else has the guns to steal the money to buy guns. If you follow me.

No, he's talking about mechanically and electronically limiting the performance of cars so that they

cannot go above 65mph. That is impractical and prohibitively costly.

This is not about what objects represent, it's about weighing their value against their dangers, factoring in the practical problems associated with making them more safe and offering a course of action.

That argument would be fine, apart from the fact I have been confronted with one

Twice up close and once when shots went off near me.

You're also confusing them, in that case. The motives are what the motives are, mostly they boil down to fear. The fear stems from the fact other people have guns.

What should be done about it? I'd suggest the genie is well out of the bottle there, like 300 years out. They just have to live with the fact that nutjobs have the constitutional right to go and shoot up a school or a church.