Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
Totally different group of players playing in a totally different era of football.

Each of them, or most of them, superbly gifted but equally as hard as fúck. Would kick your bollócks in to win a game of football. The generic term you often read bandied about is “real men”. Players who the opposition would see in the tunnel and the job was half done.

Now compare that to the current bunch. Gifted for sure but there is a continued group weakness, week after week and season after season.

You could probably argue that not one current player would make the teams of the Bergkamp era, not one would certainly make a Wenger best 11 and that includes the sometimes mercurial German.

I was watching that game at OT last weekend and was thinking about how shít, how benign and how generally meaningless it was compared to the days when it was the biggest match of the entire football season. In one thought it encapsulated the group of ****s we currently employ.
Change is afoot, SW. I think Minsilant and Sanhelli are born winners and I, for one, welcome the fact that they are being given a significant amount of influence at the club.

While I'd hate to see us win the Athletico way (ugly and bordering on illegal), I would be happy with a more gritty approach. This is the main reason that I would like to see Allegri come in. He doesn't appear to be a man that suffers fools gladly & I think some members of the squad would be in for quite a shock were he to be appointed.