Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Even Villa look like going out to Lille.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I'm not sure what a good international manager looks like. It seems like a stupid and thankless job. You have no time with the players so you are really just picking a team and making a speech. Get stuck in, play for the badge, we can beat these etc

I think Venables was good at it because he had the ability to get simple ideas across to players quickly. But modern coaches, and their tactics, physical preparation etc.... it just isn't possible to recreate that.
    Piece of piss, you'd think. Wear the blazer & tie, belt out the National Anthem and the job's a good 'un.

Today we simply have no footballistic ( ) identity that everybody buys into, unlike the Italians and the Germans, say. Or even the French. Our game has sadly been corrupted by foreigners for far too long and nowadays we don't know whether we are coming or going.

I blame Wenger, even though he WAS instrumental in delivering Brexit, as a small consolation.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Piece of piss, you'd think. Wear the blazer & tie, belt out the National Anthem and the job's a good 'un.

Today we simply have no footballistic ( ) identity that everybody buys into, unlike the Italians and the Germans, say. Or even the French. Our game has sadly been corrupted by foreigners for far too long and nowadays we don't know whether we are coming or going.

I blame Wenger, even though he WAS instrumental in delivering Brexit, as a small consolation.
    We have a group of strong technical players now- saka, foden, grealish, bellingham, rashford etc. And a top class centre forward who wins a free kick every time someone glares at him.

We are not exactly blessed with the beat defenders but they are not bad. Shedding our football identity was well overdue.

We have a group of strong technical players now- saka, foden, grealish, bellingham, rashford etc. And a top class centre forward who wins a free kick every time someone glares at him.

We are not exactly blessed with the beat defenders but they are not bad. Shedding our football identity was well overdue.
    That's the trouble, I'm afraid, that's what I mean; if international football isn't about identity then what IS it about.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

That's the trouble, I'm afraid, that's what I mean; if international football isn't about identity then what IS it about.
    Advertising, pub revenue and corruption, as far as I can make out. And of course spreading a positive message about LGBTQ to some of the most viciously homophobic places on earth, where it is received with a welcome befitting a fart in an astronaut suit

Advertising, pub revenue and corruption, as far as I can make out. And of course spreading a positive message about LGBTQ to some of the most viciously homophobic places on earth, where it is received with a welcome befitting a fart in an astronaut suit
    Wembley Stadium, d'you mean? In fairness, I understand things HAVE improved in recent years.

Wembley Stadium, d'you mean? In fairness, I understand things HAVE improved in recent years.
    Well I was referring to Russia and Qatar, mainly.

Wembley proving itself incapable of hosting a big football match was rather amusing, to be honest

Well I was referring to Russia and Qatar, mainly.

Wembley proving itself incapable of hosting a big football match was rather amusing, to be honest
    They need to stick to hosting Taylor Swift concerts, imo.

They need to stick to hosting Taylor Swift concerts, imo.
    I went to a concert there once. It was utter chaos. Bordering on dangerous. I think the word Hillsborough was mentioned a couple of times (by me)

I went to a concert there once. It was utter chaos. Bordering on dangerous. I think the word Hillsborough was mentioned a couple of times (by me)
    tens of thousands of people ushered, stewarded and managed by students, pensioners and untrained minimum wagers. What could go wrong?
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    tens of thousands of people ushered, stewarded and managed by students, pensioners and untrained minimum wagers. What could go wrong?
    It was absurd. So badly organised and caused a huge rush at the last minute.