Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So where do we need upgrades to compete with BM/Madrid etc?

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Sad but true. The lesson is: If you're going to cheat you'd better cheat very well
    In other words, if you're crooked you have to be clever, and if you're stupid you have to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Clearly we need a better LB but that is meant to be Timber, and while I'm not as big a fan of Gabriel as some, it's hard to argue that Saliba/Gabriel as a partnership hasn't been a strength this year. And Ben White has been very good.

So midfield then - not going to do better than Ride and Odegaard, so an upgrade on the other midfielder? Not seen this Zubimendi chap but it feels like we could use another player here.

And then we have our attacking three. Not convinced we need an out and out striker (sorry red) but certainly Gabi and even Saka have had quiet spells this year. So another and a better attacking option up front, striker or otherwise.

And finally possibly the most important new signing, another year of experience and development from a very young squad. Average age of 25 last night and a manager who seems to have the ability to develop players.

It's now on in 25
    Fair enough, I guess. But we're not spending our way out of this while Pep and Manchester City are around, same as last season.

We're actually doing very well, in any case; I love our manager and our football.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Fair enough, I guess. But we're not spending our way out of this while Pep and Manchester City are around, same as last season.

We're actually doing very well, in any case; I love our manager and our football.
    The manager is changing. He already seems calmer and more balanced in his post match comments, and slightly calmer on the touchline.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    In other words, if you're crooked you have to be clever, and if you're stupid you have to be honest.
    Fortunately, we are both clever AND honest. No wonder we never win anything
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

The manager is changing. He already seems calmer and more balanced in his post match comments, and slightly calmer on the touchline.
    We won't REALLY know him until he wins the Premier League, I think.

We won't REALLY know him until he wins the Premier League, I think.
    Neither will he.

Neither will he.
    Right. Just as you cannot really call yourself a driver until you've had a decent accident, for a football manager, real clarity arrives the day you either win the league or get the sack.

Right. Just as you cannot really call yourself a driver until you've had a decent accident, for a football manager, real clarity arrives the day you either win the league or get the sack.
    I was fortunate to have a spectacular accident early on in my career. Made me the driver I am today and made me appreciate the importance of keeping the car the right way up.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Good God no, they need to be hammered....as do Chelsea.
    I agree with this 100%. Pour décourager les autres, as they say in the UAE.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    We have clearly improved since last season, the manager seems to learn and the team is young so the future is bright.

Unfortunately I can't see anything other than ESR being sold this summer. If Arteta wouldn't rotate enough to give him minutes this year I don't see it happening going forward. Shame but I just don't see where he fits.

Zubimendi looks very good on youtube
    I thought everyone looked very good on Youtube. I bet Pépé and Gervinho looked like Messi and Ronaldo on Youtube.