Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other random observations from yesterday.

Other random observations from yesterday.

I thought the ref was crap in regards to the time wasting. the linesman were quick to put their flags up for offsides but I thought they were to let them play on.

Also I don't know if it was just me but half time seemed shorter than usual. all of a sudden they were back on the pitch and half the stadium wasn't back yet it was a bit strange.

atmosphere was flat most of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    I thought the ref was crap in regards to the time wasting. the linesman were quick to put their flags up for offsides but I thought they were to let them play on.

Also I don't know if it was just me but half time seemed shorter than usual. all of a sudden they were back on the pitch and half the stadium wasn't back yet it was a bit strange.

atmosphere was flat most of the game.
    For me, everything changed when Liverpool lost. I suddenly got nervous and it felt as though the picture had changed.

I think that, and our failure to get ahead in the opening half hour, really got to the players. The rest of the day had a glaring inevitability about it.

I still can't really believe the Trossard one didn't go in.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    For me, everything changed when Liverpool lost. I suddenly got nervous and it felt as though the picture had changed.

I think that, and our failure to get ahead in the opening half hour, really got to the players. The rest of the day had a glaring inevitability about it.

I still can't really believe the Trossard one didn't go in.
    As soon as Odegaard didn't play that play to put Martinelli through, I thought it was going to be one of those days.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    As soon as Odegaard didn't play that play to put Martinelli through, I thought it was going to be one of those days.
    I was worried when I saw the team. Not really sure why Zinchenko has come back in fashion. We were fine with Kiwior there.

I understood playing Havertz deeper but by early in the second half it was obvious it was no longer working and Villa had sussed out to cover the run and utliise the extra man in midfield. I still cannot believe Arteta didnt change it until the 83rd minute, by which time it was far too late to change the game.

I was worried when I saw the team. Not really sure why Zinchenko has come back in fashion. We were fine with Kiwior there.

I understood playing Havertz deeper but by early in the second half it was obvious it was no longer working and Villa had sussed out to cover the run and utliise the extra man in midfield. I still cannot believe Arteta didnt change it until the 83rd minute, by which time it was far too late to change the game.
    Everyone with any sort of vision could see that Villa were squeezing us to be narrow and our midfield couldn't cope.

Arteta not changing things as soon as he realised that Villa had upped the press and the tempo after half-time was the start of the decline.

We made Tielemans and McGinn look like Petit and Vieira.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Everyone with any sort of vision could see that Villa were squeezing us to be narrow and our midfield couldn't cope.

Arteta not changing things as soon as he realised that Villa had upped the press and the tempo after half-time was the start of the decline.

We made Tielemans and McGinn look like Petit and Vieira.
    And they played through our press with ease. We were constantly leaving the guy in the left back position free on the ball. I assumed we were forcing them to play out through that flank but I couldn't really see why. Can't remember us winning the ball once in their third.

Raya flapped at the ball with his left arm and missed before their first goal.

What is it with these highly paid managers and their inability to react to changing circumstances on the pitch? No matter how much you shout at them on the tv! Southgate in the Euros final versus Italy a classic example. Everyone watching can see what's unfolding and where it's heading, but not the one person with the capacity to effect change. Mikey's assistants need to man up in these circumstances or are they only there to be deferential? Like tv "interviewers".

Quote Originally Posted by pjlincs View Post
    Mikey's assistants need to man up in these circumstances or are they only there to be deferential? Like tv "interviewers".
    Or put differently, it's Pat Rice's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Or put differently, it's Pat Rice's fault.
    I think these decisions are far easier to make from an armchair at home.

I'm sure Arteta had his reasons for doing what he did and I am sure he saw much that I didn't, and understood it a lot better.

We still ****ing lost though

I think these decisions are far easier to make from an armchair at home.

I'm sure Arteta had his reasons for doing what he did and I am sure he saw much that I didn't, and understood it a lot better.

We still ****ing lost though
    Yes, and I'm sure Arteta will dissect the video of the match and understand what went wrong, meanwhile the rest of us just moan and offer dubious opinions.

But I'm not having that the first half was competitive a la Jason Burt. We controlled the game completely and they barely had a sniff other than one chance from a (another) Gabriel moment of madness. We should have been at least 2 up at half time or even 1 up if Trossard doesn't f*ck up with one of the misses of the season.

Fair enough we lost, but teams that choke or feel the pressure do not dominate the first half the way we did.

We're getting gubbed Wed night, of course