Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Colchester

Colchester

On Easter Saturday I was a day older than my Dad was when he died back in 1999. Had been trying to think of somewhere to go for me, my two siblings and our respective partners to mark the occasion. I am the eldest. When some of you started banging on about Colchester a while back I thought that sounded a good option given that I was born there but had never been as an adult.
    Worked out well, well done AWIMB. Ate in Wei's Kitchen Friday night, excellent, highly recommend, and had a decent dinner in the Old Siege House Saturday night. Did the castle, obvs, and had a good wander. Disappointed that the house in West Street where my parents were renting rooms when I was born didn't have a blue plaque commemorating that auspicious event. Gran's house on Mile End Road brought back memories of visits as a pre-teen. Bracing walk on Mersea Island Sunday morning to round things off before heading home in good time for the footie.
    Had no idea what to expect. Pleased it wasn't a sh!th01e. No obvious squaddie types around in the evening though we did have to go through a police block and airport security thing on the High Street Saturday night which was a novel experience. Sister-in-law set it off but police lady didn't seem bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by pjlincs View Post
    On Easter Saturday I was a day older than my Dad was when he died back in 1999. Had been trying to think of somewhere to go for me, my two siblings and our respective partners to mark the occasion. I am the eldest. When some of you started banging on about Colchester a while back I thought that sounded a good option given that I was born there but had never been as an adult.
    Worked out well, well done AWIMB. Ate in Wei's Kitchen Friday night, excellent, highly recommend, and had a decent dinner in the Old Siege House Saturday night. Did the castle, obvs, and had a good wander. Disappointed that the house in West Street where my parents were renting rooms when I was born didn't have a blue plaque commemorating that auspicious event. Gran's house on Mile End Road brought back memories of visits as a pre-teen. Bracing walk on Mersea Island Sunday morning to round things off before heading home in good time for the footie.
    Had no idea what to expect. Pleased it wasn't a sh!th01e. No obvious squaddie types around in the evening though we did have to go through a police block and airport security thing on the High Street Saturday night which was a novel experience. Sister-in-law set it off but police lady didn't seem bothered.
    Wei's Kitchen is pretty decent. Good choice 😁😁

Colchester is pretty much OK. Some of the pubs are to be avoided but most are OK.

Sounds like a terrific weekend. We’d p!

Not been to Mersea for years. Used to take the kids along that jetty, armed with bacon, catching crabs. Walks along that Eastern shoreline with all the oyster shells under your feet, then off to the sheds for the real thing, I preferred the sweeter natives from the larger rock oysters, nicely washed down with a bottle of white 👍

still keeping it on my list of places for a house,
    one of these days I will actually buy it. hopefully if the rates go down a little and I actually know what's going on with my job. the other opportunity with the new company that was formed has gone silent and they are being sued.