Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: IstanbulWimb

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    In the sort of places I stay these days (through work), if one has to ask the price, one isn't fit to stay there
    Unless one is paying the bill, the price is none of one's concern

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    There's more to Turkey then kebabs and haircuts.
    The kebabs aren't great. Much better in London

I wouldn't know about haircuts.

I've been to Turkey twice. Thought it was a bit ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    That looks plush. How much does it cost?

Can you get any fleapits for a few dollars a night there?

When I first stayed in Delhi {'94-5} I paid a quid a night. Communal bog which was just a hole in the ground. In '96, I found one off the main drag opposite the huge, minging rubbish dump for 60p a night. That was my fourth hotel after getting chucked out of the previous three on the trot since we'd got up from Goa.

The second one was up some stairs where the rooms were around an open-air space. We had the room behind the managers desk. Tried to switch the fan on. Didn't work. My {now late} mate punched the box on the wall with the fan switch and two plastic parcels fell out and the fan started working. Manager came in and asked what was going on. My mate puts his foot over the two finger sized parcels and says no problem, fan working now.

When he was gone, we opened them up and saw white powder. I thought it'd be smack, so I got some foil and tried to smoke, but it ran too fast to be white smack. My mate said what else would it be? I said I dunno, but my mouth is going numb. I think it's coke. He said you wouldn't get coke in Delhi. I said I reckon it is, so give me fifty rupes, I'm gonna get some ammonia and wash it up into freebase crack.

Had a great night. Over 10g in there which we shared with a couple of people we'd never met in another room but we found we had a mate in common with back in London. At the end of the night, we did a line of K to come down and sleep but the candle was left on and we were woken with the room on fire and the manager and police coming in. Thank Ganpati, they didn't find the K we had but got told to leave the next morning. Chucked out of two hotels in two days. The third, we lasted about 2-3 weeks before they chucked me out and I had to go to the flea pit by the rubbish dump.

But nowadays, you can't get a hotel for under a tenner. It's a disgrace. It's great that India's getting richer, but it was much more fun when that bit of Delhi was full of western druggies living in quid-a-night rooms, with no cars, just pedestrians, cycle rickshaws and cows in the Main Bazaar. Used to share my 3am omelette sarnie with this gorgeous brown cow who slept nearby.

Bet your hotel costs more. But do you have cows outside and very high purity coke hidden in the fan switch box?
    I took an executive suite in the Shangri-La in Delhi. It was acceptable for my needs. Food wasn't great.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    I need to go on a work trip. Need to book a hotel what do you recommend?

Although I should know really.
    I would stay here

https://www.shangri-la.com/en/istanbul/shangrila/

When in doubt, always choose a Shangri-La

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    In the sort of places I stay these days (through work), if one has to ask the price, one isn't fit to stay there
    Oooohh, they must be well nice. Do you get airmile style points that you can use on your own, not with work?

Never stayed in a plush hotel. But in Delhi {and before, when I used to travel to Goa via Mumbai, so would get to Mumbai in the early morning then get the bus or train in the afternoon/evening} I sometimes treated myself {ourselves when together} to the plush breakfasts in the Taj in Mumbai or Imperial in Delhi.

Well worth the treat, especially if you haven't been eating much due to having the ****s {and/or being off your head.}

Do you get top quality breakfasts in these fancy hotels?

Eggs cooked to order and fry up bits. As many lassis, chais and coffees as I wanted. Cheese and meats. Fruit {though only the Taj in Delhi had strawberries.} Lush.

We became mates with a waiter in the Taj called Mohan. That's why I was especially ****ed off when the Pak-backed terrorists attacked the gaff when they hit a few places around there at the same time.

All the other customers were rich {Indian or western} so would look down at the staff. But we'd just happily chat away with Mohan, the glw always looking relatively chic but me always crusty.} We went in for supper one early evening before the Delhi train. Had a bottle of Chablis. Heaven. Looked at the time and asked him if we got another bottle and had a glass each, could we take the rest of the bottle with us? He said of course.

When we asked for the bill, he said what about puddings cos they're included. I said we didn't have time, so he said he'd give us a takeout. Showed us the list. I said I'd have a slice of the chocolate cake. Glw said the fruit salad. Mohan asked which fruits she liked most. Glw said strawbs, would be happy just to have those. So he came back with the bottle and two plastic boxes. Min had about a dozen slices of cake, when it's meant to be one. Hers was rammed with more than a kilo of strawbs. Tucking into all that on the train before we got into the top bunks to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I took an executive suite in the Shangri-La in Delhi. It was acceptable for my needs. Food wasn't great.
    Hadn't heard of that. Just looked, it's on Janpath. The one I use, the Imperial, is also on Janpath, but halfway between yours and CP.

Have a look. Yours is modern. Mine is from the days of the Raj:

https://theimperialindia.com/

Maybe try there? Might be older but will be classier. My waiters have these fancy uniforms with massive headdresses. They look tops. Will bring me a copy of the Times of India to read while I munch and don't mind me doing drugs in the bogs.

There's a Taj in Delhi, but apparently the plushest back in the day was the Oberoi.

We went there for lunch once, but got thrown out for breaking into the spa after munching and having a shag in the pool. We had to run down the driveway and jump into an autorickshaw shouting "Chello. Geldi. Abi. " {Go. Fast. Now.}

Only time I've ever had to do a getaway. Dunno if we paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Hadn't heard of that. Just looked, it's on Janpath. The one I use, the Imperial, is also on Janpath, but halfway between yours and CP.

Maybe try there? Might be older but will be classier. My waiters have these fancy uniforms with massive headdresses. They look tops. Will bring me a copy of the Times of India to read while I munch and don't mind me doing drugs in the bogs.

There's a Taj in Delhi, but apparently the plushest back in the day was the Oberoi.

We went there for lunch once, but got thrown out for breaking into the spa after munching and having a shag in the pool. We had to run down the driveway and jump into an autorickshaw shouting "Chello. Geldi. Abi. " {Go. Fast. Now.}

I don't go to India very often these days. I used the Shangri-La because I always use them.

It's different when you are there for work. I'm busy from the minute I land so I just want convenience and help when I need it. The Shangri La always treat me like a king because I'm the lead name on our corporate account with them. I used to get them to go out and get me fags

Oooohh, they must be well nice. Do you get airmile style points that you can use on your own, not with work?

Never stayed in a plush hotel. But in Delhi {and before, when I used to travel to Goa via Mumbai, so would get to Mumbai in the early morning then get the bus or train in the afternoon/evening} I sometimes treated myself {ourselves when together} to the plush breakfasts in the Taj in Mumbai or Imperial in Delhi.

Well worth the treat, especially if you haven't been eating much due to having the ****s {and/or being off your head.}

Do you get top quality breakfasts in these fancy hotels?

Eggs cooked to order and fry up bits. As many lassis, chais and coffees as I wanted. Cheese and meats. Fruit {though only the Taj in Delhi had strawberries.} Lush.

We became mates with a waiter in the Taj called Mohan. That's why I was especially ****ed off when the Pak-backed terrorists attacked the gaff when they hit a few places around there at the same time.

All the other customers were rich {Indian or western} so would look down at the staff. But we'd just happily chat away with Mohan, the glw always looking relatively chic but me always crusty.} We went in for supper one early evening before the Delhi train. Had a bottle of Chablis. Heaven. Looked at the time and asked him if we got another bottle and had a glass each, could we take the rest of the bottle with us? He said of course.

When we asked for the bill, he said what about puddings cos they're included. I said we didn't have time, so he said he'd give us a takeout. Showed us the list. I said I'd have a slice of the chocolate cake. Glw said the fruit salad. Mohan asked which fruits she liked most. Glw said strawbs, would be happy just to have those. So he came back with the bottle and two plastic boxes. Min had about a dozen slices of cake, when it's meant to be one. Hers was rammed with more than a kilo of strawbs. Tucking into all that on the train before we got into the top bunks to sleep.
    Breakfast are always the best thing as you get to order what you want (and I normally want two poached eggs, bacon and toast). The annoying thing is dinner, when, the chef will always give you what he wants to show off. Always best to get to know the sommelier so the wine keeps flowing in those occasions. Don't get air miles but did fly Etihad Business class recently. My next flight on easyJet will be a shock

I have enjoyed several stays at the Imperial. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I have enjoyed several stays at the Imperial. Highly recommended.
    It does look rather pleasant.