Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: IstanbulWimb

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I like to take a stroll down to India Gate at dusk and watch the enormous bats going to roost.

Also, I rather enjoy the classical music playing under the water pool

Once coming back through Delhi the Imperial was fully booked and I had to spend a night at the Taj Mahal, much to my annoyance. However, my mood was improved no end when I learnt that the Taj contains the finest chinese restaurant in India with the glorious name, 'Hose of Ming'
    I don't really like Chinese food, but if you want to try something different, go to the Tibetan Colony - Majnu ka Tila - it's a collection of hotels and restaurants just off a main road. It's where all the monks stay when they're travelling to and from Dharamsala.

{It's about 10kms from CP, or less than 1km from the nearest metro nowadays.}

You can get lovely Tibetan food for very little money. I love momos, but there's also their thupka, a bowl of noodles in soup.

Oh, and last time we were there, every evening on a little path in the colony, there was a guy who put coals on the street and cooked skewers of meat on them. I think they may have been beef.

We used to take our street kid mates to India gate so they could mess about in those pools of water there, and buy ice creams.

But I always like to read some of the names of the Indians who heroically gave their lives to save us from fascism.

The only serious Delhi belly I’ve ever had came from a dhal makhani
    Love a dhal makhani. The glw's been promising to make us one for ages. She does make the best normal dhal, though. It's the star anise that's the secret ingredient. And the fresh coriander on top. I fry some smoked pancetta cubes and stick them in and make sure I get all the fat from the pan in too, like a piggy ghee.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Have to be honest, I didn't particularly enjoy India and am in no rush to get back.

Partly because the work is so stressful out there, but it is also a bit much in general. Might be different if I actually took some time to relax there.
    Yeah, you need to go up the mountains to chill. Bathe in the holy waters in the Sikh Gurdwara in Manikaran - where Parvati lost her ear jewell {mani karan} until Shiva went and smoked chillums for 13k years and used his energy to summon up Seshnag, the Serpent God who kissed back Her jewel and that's why you have hot, hissing water everywhere. Oh, and it kept giving jewels, too.

Then you should go to Goa, pref off season, and chill in Anjuna, eating lush seafood.

Totally different vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Yeah, you need to go up the mountains to chill. Bathe in the holy waters in the Sikh Gurdwara in Manikaran - where Parvati lost her ear jewell {mani karan} until Shiva went and smoked chillums for 13k years and used his energy to summon up Seshnag, the Serpent God who kissed back Her jewel and that's why you have hot, hissing water everywhere. Oh, and it kept giving jewels, too.

Then you should go to Goa, pref off season, and chill in Anjuna, eating lush seafood.

Totally different vibe.
    I've just remembered, I have to go to Kerala in June

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Love a dhal makhani. The glw's been promising to make us one for ages. She does make the best normal dhal, though. It's the star anise that's the secret ingredient. And the fresh coriander on top. I fry some smoked pancetta cubes and stick them in and make sure I get all the fat from the pan in too, like a piggy ghee.
    The best dhal makhani comes from Punjabi By Nature at Gurgaon.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I've just remembered, I have to go to Kerala in June
    Lucky you. Been there a few times. Going to Kovalam? Lovely seafood. Enjoy.

The best dhal makhani comes from Punjabi By Nature at Gurgaon.
    I've never been to the Delhi new towns, Gurgaon and Nodia. Dunno if I'd like them. They have shopping centres apparently. I know it's better for the Indians all getting richer but I'd rather the India I know and love. The mountains, Goa etc. Paharganj has been ruined since Sheila Dikshît widened it to make it easier for cars.

I've never been to the Delhi new towns, Gurgaon and Nodia. Dunno if I'd like them. They have shopping centres apparently. I know it's better for the Indians all getting richer but I'd rather the India I know and love. The mountains, Goa etc. Paharganj has been ruined since Sheila Dikshît widened it to make it easier for cars.
    I’ve only been to Gurgaon at night but to be honest it looked just as much of ****pit as the rest of Delhi

Peninsula booked.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    Peninsula booked.
    Wise man - let me know how it is