Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: What was the thinking behind getting rid of the away goals rule?

What was the thinking behind getting rid of the away goals rule?

Hmm. "Thinking" ..
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Hmm. "Thinking" ..
    It was a ridiculous rule that has no relevance in modern day football. Always hated it

To reduce the likelihood of extra time and pens I would guess. The side losing on away goals would need to commit to attack too.

Always felt it was unfair that the rule continued into extra time if that was needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    It was a ridiculous rule that has no relevance in modern day football. Always hated it
    True. But it was rather like the lira, the peseta or the mark or the frank; pointless and ridiculous, of course, often infuriating too, but an essential and mildly amusing part of the whole foreign experience. Losing on away goals was always synonymous with Cheating Foreigners Cheating and therefore reassuring.

Things are somehow not the same without it.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Quote Originally Posted by pjlincs View Post
    To reduce the likelihood of extra time and pens I would guess. The side losing on away goals would need to commit to attack too.

Always felt it was unfair that the rule continued into extra time if that was needed.
    Seems odd. Everyone (neutrals) loves penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Hmm. "Thinking" ..
    I always thought it was unfair that the away team had more time to get an away goal in extra time in the 2nd leg.

Unless of course it was in our favour.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    I always thought it was unfair that the away team had more time to get an away goal in extra time in the 2nd leg.

Unless of course it was in our favour.
    Right. Like the "win the group, second leg at home in the next round". IF YOU WIN THE GROUP.