Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Havertz, I really like the chap. Proper bullet header.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Are you advocating ****housery, p?
    It's game management

In the same way you stand right over the ball when a free kick is given, pretending to be protesting the decision with the ref but really just standing in the way to stop it being taken quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    wasn't forceful, but still reckless imo.

you cannot make a challenge with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent. Even if the Bindipping **** did make a meal of it.

I'm happy that it wasn't given, btw.
    Right, but referees consider force when looking at danger and/or consequence. Which is why it was fine for that prick Bruno at Newcastle to whack Jorginho on the back of the head as long as he only used his forearm, and not his elbow.

The key for me is that he doesn't attack the ball and the player at the same time. He attacks the ball, and the opponent arrives and collides with him. Doku is stationary, and turning his body away from the swing of the foot. I think he has done enough to minimise the danger and is entitled to attempt to clear the ball. A big swing of the foot and/ or a follow through and yes, I would agree.

At the very least.... it is not a clear and obvious error. When I saw it live, and the pundits were oohing and aaaahing about how he was in so much trouble, my first instinct was that I would be stunned if VAR gave that.

The only downside is that if Liverpool lose the league by a point or two, we will still be hearing about it for the rest of our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Just watched it again. Absolutely not a penalty, for me. Watch the angle of Doku's body on contact. He is turning away, withdrawing the foot. Minimal contact, and he is entitled to play the ball.

Excellent refereeing
    As usual, I agree with Peter

Never a pen, ask yourself what MacAllister was doing there. He didn't try to head the ball, control the ball or position himself to get control of the ball. He ran towards Duko while Duko was trying to clear the ball and stood there, directly in front of him. Then when the follow through brushed him he flung himself to the ground screaming.

Yellow for diving

But more importantly, since when did it become acceptable for defenders to grab anyone in the box when a cross is played in and drag them to the ground?! Brentford did it all game long, at one point someone dragged White into the goal as the cross came in!

It's currently a free for all on set pieces. Defenders seem to be able to do anything and get away with it.

I just hope we're doing it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Message reported to Paul Durkin (yes it was 20+ years ago, yes we still won that game, yes I am still annoyed. That was as bad a refereeing performance as another one I won't mention to save IUFG the trouble)

But also an excellent summary of that useless ****er of a ref on Saturday
    When that ginger dwarf sent off Gio I was convinced we were never going to win the league again. By the end of the match I was convinced we were going to win that year

That was the Bobby skinning Gerrard match as well I think?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I once saw Paul Durkin drinking in a bar in Weymouth when I was spending a weekend at Clive's. Dorset Gooner. What a lovely man.

Clive, not Scholesey's dad.
    Now there was a man that contributed to AWIMB in it's hay day.

If for no other reason than the soiled sheets story

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Now there was a man that contributed to AWIMB in it's hay day.

If for no other reason than the soiled sheets story
    Also made you look like a cheerful ****er rather than a miserable ****

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    It's currently a free for all on set pieces. Defenders seem to be able to do anything and get away with it.

I just hope we're doing it as well.

the moment we do it, is the moment it becomes a pelanty, W
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    All this ******* about he shouldn't have been on the pitch to score the winner, the 1st yellow was a 50/50 challenge.

Also, we should have had at least 2 penalties!

Anyway lovely to be back from the Alps with another 6 points in the bag. Beat Porto then a 19 day break.
    Absolutely! Alan Smith really likes him too, which is basically the same thing as receiving a blessing from the Pope, or Sir Geoffrey describing a promising young batsman as "well-organised".
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post

The only downside is that if Liverpool lose the league by a point or two, we will still be hearing about it for the rest of our lives.
    Right. 'Twas EVER thus.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."