Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I broke two of my Queen CDs.......

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post

I suppose my measure is, would I listen to it now?

I mean, I do like some other 80s tunes, but I would normally skip past the 80s music channels on the TV.

I saw James live (Gold Mother tour?), pretty good.
    I saw REM live (Green tour), **** awful. Surprising.
    I saw them on the Gold Mother tour as well. They were always good live. Never saw REM.

I completely agree. There was good music in the 80s but what is described as '80s music' is ****ing dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Back in the day, didn't we all swear a solemn oath never to speak of LZ on the board as it always led to much bitterness and resentment?
    That doesn't sound like the sort of thing I would have agreed to.....

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I saw them on the Gold Mother tour as well. They were always good live. Never saw REM.

I completely agree. There was good music in the 80s but what is described as '80s music' is ****ing dreadful.
    Not sure it was that tour but also saw James live - excellent band

Too busy listening to Queen, apparently

Each to his or her own, I suppose.

Let's just say we pity each other in equal measure.
    Actually I didn't start really enjoying Queen until later in life. And Radio Ga Ga is just a great song, if you don't like it I suspect you have no joy in your life. And let's be honest, Peter, that isn't the first time you have heard that accusation.

Late 70s and early 80s was my Rolling Stones/Beatles/Zeppelin/Pink Floyd/Who era. There was a point when I owned Zeppelin 1-4, House of the Holy, Physical Graffiti and the one with All My Love on it. And about that time I thought that Wish You Were Here was the greatest song and album of all time.

All these years later, and using IUFG's standard, I still listen to the Stones regularly, the Beatles occasionally and I have since discovered Queen I can't remember the last time I listened to Zeppelin, Who or Floyd.

I grew up, you see

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Actually I didn't start really enjoying Queen until later in life. And Radio Ga Ga is just a great song, if you don't like it I suspect you have no joy in your life. And let's be honest, Peter, that isn't the first time you have heard that accusation.

Late 70s and early 80s was my Rolling Stones/Beatles/Zeppelin/Pink Floyd/Who era. There was a point when I owned Zeppelin 1-4, House of the Holy, Physical Graffiti and the one with All My Love on it. And about that time I thought that Wish You Were Here was the greatest song and album of all time.

All these years later, and using IUFG's standard, I still listen to the Stones regularly, the Beatles occasionally and I have since discovered Queen I can't remember the last time I listened to Zeppelin, Who or Floyd.

I grew up, you see
    No, I have heard that accusation many times. Usually from rather silly people who want to prove an unprovable point. Not that I am accusing you of anything of that sort, of course

I grew up plagued by The Who and didn't like them for a long time as a result. I do now. I grew up.

There are plenty of things I don't really listen to very often these days (including Zeppelin and The Smiths) but that is not to do with growing up or changing my mind. It is more that I played them to death for years and so now I only pay the occasional visit.

I've never managed to get to grips with Floyd. I find them quite irritating.

Radio Ga Ga is an awful song. Sorry, but it is.

No, I have heard that accusation many times. Usually from rather silly people who want to prove an unprovable point. Not that I am accusing you of anything of that sort, of course

I grew up plagued by The Who and didn't like them for a long time as a result. I do now. I grew up.

There are plenty of things I don't really listen to very often these days (including Zeppelin and The Smiths) but that is not to do with growing up or changing my mind. It is more that I played them to death for years and so now I only pay the occasional visit.

I've never managed to get to grips with Floyd. I find them quite irritating.

Radio Ga Ga is an awful song. Sorry, but it is.
    I think you have heard that accusation many times, Peter, because you quite like playing the 'I'm a miserable f*cker' character. And to be honest, you play it well

We will have to agree to disagree on Radio Ga Ga, it is a sublimely beautiful song that feels me with joy each and every time I hear it. It's one of those songs that is so good that many people dislike it just because so many people like it, for no other reason. In my experience those sorts of people loved The Smiths, almost without exception.

I played the Stones to death as a teenager and through my university years. But I still love them and listen to them and discover new things in their songs. As an example, my favourite Stones song has continually changed over the years. From Sympathy for the Devil to Brown Sugar to the little know Memory Motel to my current favourite, Tumbling Dice.

Boogie with Stu off Physical Graffiti, I could still listen to that.

I think you have heard that accusation many times, Peter, because you quite like playing the 'I'm a miserable f*cker' character. And to be honest, you play it well

We will have to agree to disagree on Radio Ga Ga, it is a sublimely beautiful song that feels me with joy each and every time I hear it. It's one of those songs that is so good that many people dislike it just because so many people like it, for no other reason. In my experience those sorts of people loved The Smiths, almost without exception.

I played the Stones to death as a teenager and through my university years. But I still love them and listen to them and discover new things in their songs. As an example, my favourite Stones song has continually changed over the years. From Sympathy for the Devil to Brown Sugar to the little know Memory Motel to my current favourite, Tumbling Dice.

Misery is in the eye of the beholder. Those who find Leonard Cohen or The Smiths depressing are, in my opinion, miserable sods. Or they are simply not listening.

You can't really play The Stones to death because you listen to it with your hips, not just your ears. Tumbling Dice isn't going to get old.... or grow up. And it does fill me with joy every time I hear it So does Moonlight Mile. And Rocks Off. Winter. Monkey Man. Sway. The list goes on.......

The Beatles.... that is a whole other discussion. The genius there is songwriting and production. I could never get bored of Sgt Pepper.

Misery is in the eye of the beholder. Those who find Leonard Cohen or The Smiths depressing are, in my opinion, miserable sods. Or they are simply not listening.

You can't really play The Stones to death because you listen to it with your hips, not just your ears. Tumbling Dice isn't going to get old.... or grow up. And it does fill me with joy every time I hear it So does Moonlight Mile. And Rocks Off. Winter. Monkey Man. Sway. The list goes on.......

The Beatles.... that is a whole other discussion. The genius there is songwriting and production. I could never get bored of Sgt Pepper.
    Oh Peter, there we go again - disagreeing.

Pepper is grossly overrated, I'd take the White Album every time.

She's Leaving Home and When I'm 64 are just utter McCartney dross. Or to summarise better, the first three songs are great and after that you get mostly average songs, or rubbish, until Day in the Life, which is also overrated.

go to youtube and search for a video of someone playing Keith's guitar line from Tumbling Dice. There are a few. You don't need the vocals, bass or drum, just that guitar line. Keith is a genius.

I've heard there are a couple of great songs on their new album - have you hear it?

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I've heard there are a couple of great songs on their new album - have you hear it?
    There are a couple of goodish songs on it.

Sadly, be it the heroin, the years or their relationship, Mick and Keith will never write another Tumbling Dice, Honky Tonk Woman or Moonlight Mile ever again, I'm afraid.