Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I broke two of my Queen CDs.......

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    Never liked them. All a bit theatrical and sounds like the belong in a musical.
    "Pomp Rock", like Kate Bush, so I gather.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    "Pomp Rock", like Kate Bush, so I gather.
    Given this thread, I flicked between a couple of 80s Music channels last night for 15 or so minutes.

In summary

The Thompson Twins - Hold Me Now
    Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
    Duran Duran - The Reflex (what the **** is that about?)
    Nik Kershaw - Wouldn't It Be Good
    George Benson - Give Me the Night

80s music can **** right off imo
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Given this thread, I flicked between a couple of 80s Music channels last night for 15 or so minutes.

In summary

The Thompson Twins - Hold Me Now
    Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
    Duran Duran - The Reflex (what the **** is that about?)
    Nik Kershaw - Wouldn't It Be Good
    George Benson - Give Me the Night

80s music can **** right off imo
    Harsh to judge the entire decade based on that sample, I. Although I loved Hold Me Now at the time

The best thing about the 80s music is that it wasn't the 70s. By 82 I had had enough of concept albums and 3 minute guitar solos, I just wanted to listen to music that made me happy and the 80s had loads of that. I can understand how people like Peter who seem to think quite deeply music would prefer the 70s but for me music is entertainment, a source of escape. Led Zeppelin is hardly that imo.

BTW, I owe Peter a thank you actually. Because of his objections I listened to the White Album all the way through yesterday and I had forgotten how much I enjoy it. I skipped ob-li-di ob-la-da, Helter Skelter and Revolution no. 9. Every other song I enjoyed and some I had forgotten how good they are. Long long long being one of them.

Merci Pierre

Early Queen is the best (Prophet's Song etc). Genesis and Pink Floyd is where it's at. The Beatles are mostly overrated bar a handful of brilliant songs. Paul is responsible for the worst Christmas song of all time.

Total disrespect for the 80s here. Genius decade. 60s & 70s founded bands coming into their stride combined with the exciting ascension of new drum machines and synths. A level of creativity that can only be seen at the experimentation stage of figuring out all this new hardware.There's a high level of analogue warmth to 80s records that hasn't been seen since.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bunnell View Post
    There's a high level of analogue warmth to 80s records that hasn't been seen since.
    You seem to have overlooked the fact that 80s music was pretty much at the mercy of the awful Yamaha DX7 - a digital synthesizer.

A sound so bright, harsh and percussiony, it spoiled, pretty much, 99% of things it touched.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

You seem to have overlooked the fact that 80s music was pretty much at the mercy of the awful Yamaha DX7 - a digital synthesizer.

A sound so bright, harsh and percussiony, it spoiled, pretty much, 99% of things it touched.
    Well I prefer the Les Paul and the Marshall amp. But then I am old school

I hear you. There were other synths around (OBX, CP80, JP8 etc) obviously.

One thing I don't think has ever been done quite as well as in the 80s is reverb. That plate verb on vox in New Romantic era music and large hall reverb, check Rachel's Song by Vangelis on the Bladerunner soundtrack. Immense.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I wouldn't, because we are talking about an album. The White Album suffers from double album syndrome. Too much, too messy, a bit of showboating here and there. Some amazing songs but it doesn't work as an album, for me. Doubles never do.

Ob-la-di harmed the album in a very particular way. Geoff Emerick, their engineer/assistant producer and architect of a lot of what they achieved on Pepper and Revolver, walked out on them after a row about that song. The album is less focused because of his departure, and I am not just saying that because he was a good friend of my dad

But, we all listen to music differently. Even the concept of an album is outdated now. Just mentioning the art form gets one labelled as a boomer
    Are we forgetting the marvellous, Stevie Wonder’s, Songs in the key of life, double ?
    Judging the homage to all of the white rock material in this thread… presumably so.

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    Are we forgetting the marvellous, Stevie Wonder’s, Songs in the key of life, double ?
    Judging the homage to all of the white rock material in this thread… presumably so.
    I don't like Stevie Wonder. At all.

I am afraid my my musical taste is white. I can't help it

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I don't like Stevie Wonder. At all.

I am afraid my my musical taste is white. I can't help it
    You see Peter we can agree!

Partly

I don't get Steve Wonder at all, but I would never write off all black music. You racist