Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I broke two of my Queen CDs.......

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    You seem to have overlooked the fact that 80s music was pretty much at the mercy of the awful Yamaha DX7 - a digital synthesizer.

A sound so bright, harsh and percussiony, it spoiled, pretty much, 99% of things it touched.
    Well I prefer the Les Paul and the Marshall amp. But then I am old school

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Except that I didn’t trash pretty much the entire album, I said the first three songs were great and a lot of the rest was very average. And I didn’t say A Day in the Life wasn’t any good I said it was overrated.

Other than that your analysis is spot on Peter
    You said the album was grossly overrated, or have you forgotten that bit? And calling all but the first three songs average, rubbish (or McCartney dross!) or overrated is trashing 'pretty much the entire album'. Let us not quibble on that.

And it is fine, obviously. Just not worth discussing. I am not going to say anything about the White Album. Nothing at all. My lips are sealed

You seem to have overlooked the fact that 80s music was pretty much at the mercy of the awful Yamaha DX7 - a digital synthesizer.

A sound so bright, harsh and percussiony, it spoiled, pretty much, 99% of things it touched.
    I hear you. There were other synths around (OBX, CP80, JP8 etc) obviously.

One thing I don't think has ever been done quite as well as in the 80s is reverb. That plate verb on vox in New Romantic era music and large hall reverb, check Rachel's Song by Vangelis on the Bladerunner soundtrack. Immense.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    You said the album was grossly overrated, or have you forgotten that bit? And calling all but the first three songs average, rubbish (or McCartney dross!) or overrated is trashing 'pretty much the entire album'. Let us not quibble on that.

And it is fine, obviously. Just not worth discussing. I am not going to say anything about the White Album. Nothing at all. My lips are sealed
    You'd throw ob-li-di ob-li-da in my face, wouldn't you Peter?

Not to mention Revolution no. 9

Still I could counter with Dear Prudence, I'm So Tired and the far superior version of Revolution

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    You'd throw ob-li-di ob-li-da in my face, wouldn't you Peter?

Still I could counter with Dear Prudence, I'm So Tired and the far superior version of Revolution
    I wouldn't, because we are talking about an album. The White Album suffers from double album syndrome. Too much, too messy, a bit of showboating here and there. Some amazing songs but it doesn't work as an album, for me. Doubles never do.

Ob-la-di harmed the album in a very particular way. Geoff Emerick, their engineer/assistant producer and architect of a lot of what they achieved on Pepper and Revolver, walked out on them after a row about that song. The album is less focused because of his departure, and I am not just saying that because he was a good friend of my dad

But, we all listen to music differently. Even the concept of an album is outdated now. Just mentioning the art form gets one labelled as a boomer

I wouldn't, because we are talking about an album. The White Album suffers from double album syndrome. Too much, too messy, a bit of showboating here and there. Some amazing songs but it doesn't work as an album, for me. Doubles never do.

Ob-la-di harmed the album in a very particular way. Geoff Emerick, their engineer/assistant producer and architect of a lot of what they achieved on Pepper and Revolver, walked out on them after a row about that song. The album is less focused because of his departure, and I am not just saying that because he was a good friend of my dad

But, we all listen to music differently. Even the concept of an album is outdated now. Just mentioning the art form gets one labelled as a boomer
    Are we forgetting the marvellous, Stevie Wonder’s, Songs in the key of life, double ?
    Judging the homage to all of the white rock material in this thread… presumably so.

You think about things more than me, Peter. I love the first three songs on Pepper, and I like Day in the Life but got tired of the symphony going crazy bits, they're just irritating. But that's it, I can't think of another song on the album that I would particularly want to listen to.

White album has Back in the USSR, Dear Prudence, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Happiness is a Warm Gun, I'm So Tired, Blackbird, Rocky Raccoon, Yer Blues, Sexy Sadie, Revolution 1 and Cry baby Cry - I would happily listen to all of them. I even like some of the dross, like Don't Pass Me By

I would agree that it does not compare as an album 'concept' with Pepper. But I don't care. I like the music better

Well, this is better than either.

Lennon and McCartney never came close to that piece of art...

Nor Taylor, Mercury, May and the other one...
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Well, this is better than either.

Lennon and McCartney never came close to that piece of art...

Nor Taylor, Mercury, May and the other one...
    Best Dance Album ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bunnell View Post
    Best Album ever made.
    Fixed that for you...
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”