Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I could be wrong… again.. but my take on Pogba

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Look at the Lampard Gerrard thing. (I'll get stick for this...) Lampard was a decent player who realised close to 100% of his talent (which is unusual), Gerrard was a guy who had spectacular moments or influence in big games but never came close to realising all of his (and helped by an indulgent fan base who thought the sun shone out his Arse). I know which one I would prefer
    Same here. Neither of them!

Lampard wasn't a proper midfielder in my book. Liked to ponce around up field while others did his work for him. Plenty of goals, to be fair. Gerrard, good as he was, never really nailed the deep possession side of being a central midfielder.

I've had plenty of stick over the years for my view on these two players but I don't care. There is no real mystery as to why they never worked well together for England. Both too selfish with similar flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I am drawing that conclusion from the alarming inconsistency in his performances. At his best he was brilliant, unplayable. But it was so rarely seen.

And I am not really having a go at him. The vast majority of players don't have the obsessive gene of a Roy Keane or a Ronaldo.

Put it this way- he had far more talent than Vieira but I wouldn't have swapped Vieira for three of him.
    Simply that he's played over 400 games for two great clubs and he's also won the World Cup. Probably doesn't justify his exaggerated public profile, but still.

"Terrific" may've been a bit strong. "Decent".
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."