Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So with our PL/CL double firmly on schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    High press paid off in the end.
    I thought it was Bazball

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I thought it was Bazball
    That was WW2. Reckless German onslaught paid off initially but the Russians eventually ground them down with a bit of line and length

High press paid off in the end.
    That's pretty accurate.

Though you could add that we went from 1-0 down to 5-1 up in injury time.

{MA in WW1 Studies, init?}

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    That's pretty accurate.

Beautifully done, p

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    That's pretty accurate.

I'm a WW2 man, myself. The aerial threat made for a much more exciting game

Peter Allardici

I more of a 30 Years War man - far more fun. And with added Swedes

Fairy nuff.

But WW1's been my think since the poetry at school.

And being a GG man, I like it all about being based on defensive solidity and then winning it with a set piece at the end. {Amiens.}

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Peter Allardici

I more of a 30 Years War man - far more fun. And with added Swedes
    More dead Hun than any other war. {30% of the population?}

Love the way that our contemporaneous civil war combines the wars of religion aspect of the 30YW with the politics of the Fr Rev 140 years later.

We both ended the wars of religion and were already in the Enlightenment while we did it.

Though Swedes - I haven't said Gustavus Adolphus since the Louis XIV half of history A-level in the late '80s.

Great name, too. {Not as good as Limpar or Freddie but better than Stefan Schwarz.}

Gustavus Adolphus. Fück. I'd forgotten how good that sounded. Gustavus Adolphus. Cheers, LA. Gustavus Adolphus.

Fairy nuff.

But WW1's been my think since the poetry at school.

And being a GG man, I like it all about being based on defensive solidity and then winning it with a set piece at the end. {Amiens.}
    In hearts at peace, under an English heaven

Great substitutions, too. Took off the tiring Russians and brought on the Americans. Fresh legs

My great grandfather was shot in Basra in 1916. Shipped home to blighty.

I do think WW2 was a better watch for the neutrals. Real end to end stuff, like a classic cup tie.

In hearts at peace, under an English heaven

Great substitutions, too. Took off the tiring Russians and brought on the Americans. Fresh legs

My great grandfather was shot in Basra in 1916. Shipped home to blighty.

I do think WW2 was a better watch for the neutrals. Real end to end stuff, like a classic cup tie.
    Great point about the substitutions. {Though our Yank no.12 spent most of the time on the pitch in those quiet sectors far from the ball, and the one time it came to him near the end, in front of the Meuse-Aragonne stand, he almost put it through his own net.}

You don't know if your great grand-dad was treated on a ship at Basra, do you?

One of my best mates in Delhi was my chemist. Late middle aged Brahmin gent {who also got us Ket.} His family had had the chemist since British times. His granddad was a doctor on a RN ship at Basra '16.

Matey said that his granddad agreed to join thinking all Brits were like the white Delhi elite. He was horrified to find all these squaddies he patched up were the most vulgar chavs and other assorted plebs. Lost his faith in the empire there and then, apparently.

Strange that we both have this personal connection but I guess the war was so big it would be stranger if we didn't for somewhere.