Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone see us making a January signing ?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Arteta seems to take a bit of time to trust players and is very reluctant to actually give game time to those he doesn't trust. Trossard came in last January and made an immediate impact but it is unlikely we will find another one of those.

Finding forwards who are better than what we already have is going to be unbelievably difficult and prohibitively expensive.

What we need to do is focus on getting more out of the players we have, particularly Martinelli. The Palace game showed what he is when we actually get him into good positions- he is the best finisher at the club.
    And yet he trusts Havertz ? Although, probably like many, I’m hoping he’s usurped by ESR over the next couple of months.
    Until inevitably, ESR breaks down again, natch

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    And yet he trusts Havertz ? Although, probably like many, I’m hoping he’s usurped by ESR over the next couple of months.
    Until inevitably, ESR breaks down again, natch
    Havertz has a particular set of abilities that I think Arteta feels are uniquely appropriate to the way he wants us to play/ be able to play. That set of abilities doesn't currently include being able to play as a midfielder so there is work to do.

I think you have to look at this season as kind of a development season.

Havertz has a particular set of abilities that I think Arteta feels are uniquely appropriate to the way he wants us to play/ be able to play. That set of abilities doesn't currently include being able to play as a midfielder so there is work to do.

I thought he had a good game against Palace. Nothing spectacular but solid.

Not being able to play as a midfielder is very harsh, Peter. He has improved since the start of the season when he was very tentative and often confused. He's no Odegaard, but he has looked much better recently. And as you said, he brings things that Arteta must think we need.

I agree about the development season, I'd be very happy with top 4 and a sense that we are moving forward towards what Arteta is trying to achieve.

What ever that is

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Not being able to play as a midfielder is very harsh, Peter. He has improved since the start of the season when he was very tentative and often confused. He's no Odegaard, but he has looked much better recently. And as you said, he brings things that Arteta must think we need.

I agree about the development season, I'd be very happy with top 4 and a sense that we are moving forward towards what Arteta is trying to achieve.

What ever that is
    I am happy to clarify- to play as a conventional midfielder. But it may well be that Arteta doesn't want that from him. The thing is, there will be games, or part of games, where we need that from him so it is something he needs to improve on. Part of the process.

It may well be that the Havertz experiment doesn't work, or that Arteta decides to go a different way. Either way, it is far too soon to call it a failure. He has had good games and has also shown the ability to contribute something of significance whilst having a bad/ ordinary game.

If we finish in the top 4, win a few more games in the Champions League and get closer to nailing the balance between control and genuine creativity, we will be placed for next season. If he can add reducing the number of idiotic defensive errors, that would be great

What ever that is
    A fit Timber and Partey and we'd have at least another 6 points, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    A fit Timber and Partey and we'd have at least another 6 points, imo.
    We still don't know if Arteta sees Partey as part of his plans and, if so, exactly how. That is hugely significant, I think.

We still don't know if Arteta sees Partey as part of his plans and, if so, exactly how. That is hugely significant, I think.
    I'm pretty sure he wanted him alongside Rice.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    I'm convinced he wanted him alongside Rice.
    That is a powerful midfield. I'd like to see it

Watching City at Newcastle was a great example of what we are up against. Despite Newcastle scoring two strangely similar goals to turn the game on its head they dominated the second half and found a way to win. Rodri was exceptional and De Bruyne came off the bench and played the game on a different setting to everyone else.

If we want to win the league we have to finish above them

What ever that is
    The Real Madrid job.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."