Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I withhold judgement until WES has given his intelligent and insightful analysis of

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    What IS the problem?
    We have changed the way we play to accommodate the new midfield, and specifically Declan Rice. So we no longer play through a high press, we play around or over it. And we can't pass through the lines in midfield. That only leaves trying to play through the low block from wide areas which is exactly what team are set up to prevent when they play us.

Right now we are seeing a significant dip in form from the wide players- Saka, Martinelli, White and Zinchenko. I dont know why but with the forwards I think it is related to confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    We have changed the way we play to accommodate the new midfield, and specifically Declan Rice. So we no longer play through a high press, we play around or over it. And we can't pass through the lines in midfield. That only leaves trying to play through the low block from wide areas which is exactly what team are set up to prevent when they play us.

Right now we are seeing a significant dip in form from the wide players- Saka, Martinelli, White and Zinchenko. I dont know why but with the forwards I think it is related to confidence.
    We no longer play through a high press? And you are suggesting that Declan Rice is one of the reasons? I would disagree on both points. If we were struggling to pass our way through the press this would show in lower possession and that isn't happening. We continue to control the game mostly but are struggling in front of goal and have had more defensive lapses than expected. See Gabriel's defending for Fulham's equaliser and Kiwior's for their 2nd.

Teams are doubling our wide players more than they used to and we're struggling to come up with plan B when they do so. And we have some players who are out of form. Gabriel, all our currently fit FBs, as examples. Saka and Martinelli's form may be because of their frustration at facing two players every time they touch it.

Arteta needs to figure that out and get our good players playing better.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    I can't for the life of me understand how Eddie stayed on. Offered nothing for the entire match
    Make that the entire season, except for the time we steam rollered the worst team in the league. I remember some of the MoTD pundits saying he was world class that day 😁

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Yes, you are very consistent, Peter. This I give you.

No matter what happens you are always certain that we will fail.

He’s right on this occasion though. As SC commented, the quality isn’t quite there. It’s considerably better than a few seasons back, and there are certainly reasons to be cheerful, but…

Results for the last 39 games played since Everton away on Feb 4th it is-
    Played 39, won 21, drew 8 and lost 10 in the league. That is just 71points from 39 games.
    That’s 25% lost !
    I’m hoping we see some additions in January