Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You know what's happening on Saturday, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    If I recall correctly, he went through a pretty rough period at Villa last year, or maybe the year before. Howlers all over the place.

Wasn't particularly convincing in the WC as well, I think.

Keepers, eh
    He's a very good keeper but has his dodgy periods - thrown a couple in the net this season as well. Let's hope for a poor performance from him on Saturday. Is ridiculous the number of ex-keepers we have around - Martinez, Fabianski, Turner, Leno in the Premiership, Szczesny in Italy. Fairly sure Mart Poom will turn up at Luton before the end of the season

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Martinez' revenge, that's what's happening.

It will truly be a 'good ebening' for a certain vampirical-looking dude
    we survive the first 15 minutes of inevitable onslaught from them...we'll be fine

I'd take a point now, mind.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    we survive the first 15 minutes of inevitable onslaught from them...we'll be fine

I'd take a point now, mind.
    their big strength is their high line and offside trap - watched the Spurs game and they could have been 5 down by half time. Our front three could have a fun time - if they time their runs. Havertz could be very useful in this respect as well

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    their big strength is their high line and offside trap - watched the Spurs game and they could have been 5 down by half time. Our front three could have a fun time - if they time their runs. Havertz could be very useful in this respect as well
    Emery must have changed, man...

I specifically remember the game at the Emirates, under Unai, when we beat Villa (2-1, 3-2?) with a very late Aubameyang free-kick and was appalled at how our defenders kept dropping off and dropping off, eventually into the area, inviting shots and free movement from Villa. Obviously an instruction from the manager.

Jack Grealish had a field day.

After the 20+ game honeymoon, we were dog**** under Emery. Especially at the end of the season.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Emery must have changed, man...

I specifically remember the game at the Emirates, under Unai, when we beat Villa (2-1, 3-2?) with a very late Aubameyang free-kick and was appalled at how our defenders kept dropping off and dropping off, eventually into the area, inviting shots and free movement from Villa. Obviously an instruction from the manager.

Jack Grealish had a field day.

After the 20+ game honeymoon, we were dog**** under Emery. Especially at the end of the season.
    I think the scale of Arteta's rebuild gives a good window into the absolute **** show that Emery inherited. He never stood a chance in the short term and our transfer activity was all over the shop while he was here.

He is clearly a very, very good coach and under different circumstances he could have done well with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    He's a very good keeper but has his dodgy periods - thrown a couple in the net this season as well. Let's hope for a poor performance from him on Saturday. Is ridiculous the number of ex-keepers we have around - Martinez, Fabianski, Turner, Leno in the Premiership, Szczesny in Italy. Fairly sure Mart Poom will turn up at Luton before the end of the season
    He is a very good keeper but he isn't too hot with his feet and he has far too much to say for and about himself for Arteta's liking. I suspect the 'values' were an issue in him staying with us.

Despite current form, I would think Raya is the slightly better keeper. Both have exceptional handling, Raya is better with his feet. Martinez is more aggressive and full of himself (in a positive sense).

Villa and Anfield are going to be incredibly difficult games.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I think the scale of Arteta's rebuild gives a good window into the absolute **** show that Emery inherited. He never stood a chance in the short term and our transfer activity was all over the shop while he was here.

He is clearly a very, very good coach and under different circumstances he could have done well with us.
    found it...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49705154

that team, smfh

Leno
    Maitland-Niles
    Papastathopoulos
    David Luiz
    Kolasinac
    Guendouzi
    Xhaka
    Pépé
    Ceballos
    Saka
    Aubameyang

Subs
    Özil
    Torreira
    Chambers
    Nelson
    E Martínez
    Willock
    Martinelli

Perhaps you have a point, P.

found it...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49705154

that team, smfh

Leno
    Maitland-Niles
    Papastathopoulos
    David Luiz
    Kolasinac
    Guendouzi
    Xhaka
    Pépé
    Ceballos
    Saka
    Aubameyang

Subs
    Özil
    Torreira
    Chambers
    Nelson
    E Martínez
    Willock
    Martinelli

Perhaps you have a point, P.
    You look at that list and it isn't just that it isn't a great team. Think about what the dressing room was like. Big egos on the likes of Aubamayang, Ozil, Luiz but no real sense of leadership. Younger players with a bit of attitude like Guendouzi and Maitland-Niles.

Then the relatively useless, such as Kolasinac, Pepe, the big Greek lad. No thought has gone into that squad, or if it has it is the various thoughts of too many cooks.

Total mess. No wonder Edu and Arteta set about dismantling the entire thing and starting again.

He is a very good keeper but he isn't too hot with his feet and he has far too much to say for and about himself for Arteta's liking. I suspect the 'values' were an issue in him staying with us.

Despite current form, I would think Raya is the slightly better keeper. Both have exceptional handling, Raya is better with his feet. Martinez is more aggressive and full of himself (in a positive sense).

Villa and Anfield are going to be incredibly difficult games.
    This keeper mess lays squarely at the feet of Arteta. He saw something he liked in Raya but overlooked the pressure in playing in front of 60k for a top 4 club. He also underestimated the loyalty to Ramsdale who played a huge part in last seasons success.
    It was a stupid move in my book. We had other priorities and hooking Ramsdale without the requisite string of poor performances, was ill conceived.
    We now have two keepers who are a bundle of nerves every time they take the field.
    There’s a fag paper between them in terms of ability where their ought to be an obvious step up in class with Raya.

You look at that list and it isn't just that it isn't a great team. Think about what the dressing room was like. Big egos on the likes of Aubamayang, Ozil, Luiz but no real sense of leadership. Younger players with a bit of attitude like Guendouzi and Maitland-Niles.

Then the relatively useless, such as Kolasinac, Pepe, the big Greek lad. No thought has gone into that squad, or if it has it is the various thoughts of too many cooks.

Total mess. No wonder Edu and Arteta set about dismantling the entire thing and starting again.
    Certainly the dressing room was a ****show at that time. Auba and Ozil hoovering the life out of it. Emery didn't deal with either of them.

Villa finished 17th that season and made us look as bad as they were.
    We only finished 8th. Behind Wolves.

As good as Emery might be. We didn't see it.