Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Martinelli last night

Martinelli last night

Absolutely roasted their full back on numerous occasions but didn't actually produce anything (brilliant assist for the Saka goal, excepted). Is it harsh to say he can be wasteful - though if we had a more orthodox centre forward and/or a confident Havertz taking up better positions in the box he might have done better. Saka's final ball/decision making seem a lot better to me

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Absolutely roasted their full back on numerous occasions but didn't actually produce anything (brilliant assist for the Saka goal, excepted). Is it harsh to say he can be wasteful - though if we had a more orthodox centre forward and/or a confident Havertz taking up better positions in the box he might have done better. Saka's final ball/decision making seem a lot better to me
    Yes, I was rather frustrated at his final ball until I noticed that generally he had **** all to aim at. We really are lacking in the CF position.

Saka's decision making is amazing. One of the things that makes him so deadly.

I think the cut back from the goal line can be fairly easy to cover if the defending side are expecting it. Seemed like everywhere Martinelli put it they had the angle covered. Poor full back he didnt even try and kick him, whereas on the flank they took turns fouling Saka- two fouls and then switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Saka's decision making is amazing. One of the things that makes him so deadly.

I think the cut back from the goal line can be fairly easy to cover if the defending side are expecting it. Seemed like everywhere Martinelli put it they had the angle covered. Poor full back he didnt even try and kick him, whereas on the flank they took turns fouling Saka- two fouls and then switch.
    That ref was awful, clearly says 1 more and it's a yellow to the chap who boots Saka inside 5 minutes, promptly boots him again and nothing.

As Sir C mentioned, Martinelli didn't really have any options.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    That ref was awful, clearly says 1 more and it's a yellow to the chap who boots Saka inside 5 minutes, promptly boots him again and nothing.

Our first goal against the Munichs this year. You'll struggle convince me that someone who can play that ball isn't capable of playing a final ball of the highest quality.

Mind you, I still think he's a no. 9.

Indeed - I was being harsh. He does have the ability to beat players on the goal line though so maybe sometimes he just needs to create an angle an Podolski it. Chance of knocking the keeper out even if he doesn't score

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Our first goal against the Munichs this year. You'll struggle convince me that someone who can play that ball isn't capable of playing a final ball of the highest quality.

Mind you, I still think he's a no. 9.
    Agree - I think he has boundless ability, which is why I have great expectations

Indeed - I was being harsh. He does have the ability to beat players on the goal line though so maybe sometimes he just needs to create an angle an Podolski it. Chance of knocking the keeper out even if he doesn't score
    The City goal still makes me smile, smashing it off Ake's face

The City goal still makes me smile, smashing it off Ake's face
    Havertz with the assist

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Yes, I was rather frustrated at his final ball until I noticed that generally he had **** all to aim at. We really are lacking in the CF position.
    Say what you like about young Edward, but he is good at making space in the box.

Last season, when Jesus was injured post WC, I was chatting to the Times writer in the comments below his match report. He said that Eddie reminds him of Gerd Muller {though not as good all round} in the way he makes space in the box to fashion chances.

He's been linking up better with Gabby M this year - look at the two simple passes he played to Gabby to create a Kai chance then Ødin goal vs ManU. Leo was very good yesterday, especially as our third choice CF. But given the number of times Gabby skinned their RB, I reckon Eddie would have scored a goal or two against Seville.