Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VAR is useless, but.....

VAR is useless, but.....

That goal was pretty much our fault. Should never have happened. They all switched off assuming the ball was out of play. When they switch back on, White is far too slow getting out to put pressure on the cross, and Raya loses his bearings, creeping ahead of his front post, again!

If anyone was assuming that VAR would sort it out they just haven't been watching this season

Thought the Havertz challenge was idiotic but not a red. I am still stunned by the notion that Bruno's whack on Jorginho's head could be considered anything other than violent conduct. But then again, VAR was never going to send him off for that after Newcastle's reaction to the Havertz yellow.

Newcastle really are a deeply unpleasant team and they might want to shut up about racism after the suspicious booing of our black players. I hear Jorginho refused to shake hands with them. Good

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    That goal was pretty much our fault. Should never have happened. They all switched off assuming the ball was out of play. When they switch back on, White is far too slow getting out to put pressure on the cross, and Raya loses his bearings, creeping ahead of his front post, again!

If anyone was assuming that VAR would sort it out they just haven't been watching this season

Thought the Havertz challenge was idiotic but not a red. I am still stunned by the notion that Bruno's whack on Jorginho's head could be considered anything other than violent conduct. But then again, VAR was never going to send him off for that after Newcastle's reaction to the Havertz yellow.

Newcastle really are a deeply unpleasant team and they might want to shut up about racism after the suspicious booing of our black players. I hear Jorginho refused to shake hands with them. Good
    Arteta’s got a real dilemma on his hands with Raya. Pride & Process will probably afford him a few more games but his form is a concern, set against the backdrop of being a supposed upgrade.
    Ability aside, he can’t overlook the commanding presence of Ramsdale and the confidence it reflects upon the back four.
    I’d like him to cut his losses before Ramsdale’s dissolution becomes irreversible.
    I never thought I’d say this but we’re also really missing Xhaka.

Not sure how anyone can analyse the goal without mentioning Gabriel’s part in it. Wasn’t that long ago that he wasn’t in the team and someone on here had him the second coming of Baresi. He should have cleared the ball when it we first played into the box, it was Sunday league defending. Then he wasn’t strong enough to head it clear. Do I think he was fouled? Yes, but he still should have dealt with it anyway.

Agreed on Newcastle, vile team of c*nts.

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    Arteta’s got a real dilemma on his hands with Raya. Pride & Process will probably afford him a few more games but his form is a concern, set against the backdrop of being a supposed upgrade.
    Ability aside, he can’t overlook the commanding presence of Ramsdale and the confidence it reflects upon the back four.
    I’d like him to cut his losses before Ramsdale’s dissolution becomes irreversible.
    I never thought I’d say this but we’re also really missing Xhaka.
    Xhaka leaving was a surprise but the problem is how bad his replacement is. Havertz has been awful so far and it leaves the outstanding Declan Rice trying to do two jobs at once. I suspect there might need to be more investment in the midfield next summer.

We are stuck with Raya, I'm afraid. He will slowly improve as, despite all evidence so far, he is actually a good keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Not sure how anyone can analyse the goal without mentioning Gabriel’s part in it. Wasn’t that long ago that he wasn’t in the team and someone on here had him the second coming of Baresi. He should have cleared the ball when it we first played into the box, it was Sunday league defending. Then he wasn’t strong enough to head it clear. Do I think he was fouled? Yes, but he still should have dealt with it anyway.

Agreed on Newcastle, vile team of c*nts.
    True, although when the ball came in he was the only defender not standing like a statue. Six defenders in the box when Willock retrieved that ball......

I don't think you can 'be strong' when stooping to head a ball. A small nudge in the back is going to shove you under it.

Xhaka leaving was a surprise but the problem is how bad his replacement is. Havertz has been awful so far and it leaves the outstanding Declan Rice trying to do two jobs at once. I suspect there might need to be more investment in the midfield next summer.

We are stuck with Raya, I'm afraid. He will slowly improve as, despite all evidence so far, he is actually a good keeper.
    I thought Havertz actually had a decent game, certainly far from our poorest player. The tackle that got 3 of their players booked was also very amusing.

Raya, just makes me nervous. I don't like keepers that punch rather than catch the ball, it usually just invites pressure back on.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    I thought Havertz actually had a decent game, certainly far from our poorest player. The tackle that got 3 of their players booked was also very amusing.

Raya, just makes me nervous. I don't like keepers that punch rather than catch the ball, it usually just invites pressure back on.
    At least he punched away from goal this time

The absence of Xhaka has left Martinelli quite isolated on the left. Yesterday he was given the ball plenty of times in wide areas but with nobody making the run inside him. The one time he had support we played through them. I'm not sure if Havertz is supposed to be hitting those areas or not but he certainly doesnt do it.

From The Guardian:

VAR furore takes heat off Raya
    Picking through the wreckage of Arteta’s attack on VAR, it is worth remembering none of his anger would have been required had David Raya simply claimed Joe Willock’s cross. Arteta’s call to drop Aaron Ramsdale in favour of Raya was invariably going to invite pressure, and with every game it is hard to shake the notion that he has manifested a problem that did not need solving. Newcastle made life difficult for Raya from the off, Callum Wilson hounding the goalkeeper inside the first minute. Of the three VAR checks that followed Gordon’s contentious winner, perhaps the most surprising verdict was Joelinton being cleared for his push on Gabriel Magalhães. Regardless, while Arteta rails at Premier League officials, his own decision-making should also face scrutiny.

Quote Originally Posted by pjlincs View Post
    From The Guardian:

VAR furore takes heat off Raya
    Picking through the wreckage of Arteta’s attack on VAR, it is worth remembering none of his anger would have been required had David Raya simply claimed Joe Willock’s cross. Arteta’s call to drop Aaron Ramsdale in favour of Raya was invariably going to invite pressure, and with every game it is hard to shake the notion that he has manifested a problem that did not need solving. Newcastle made life difficult for Raya from the off, Callum Wilson hounding the goalkeeper inside the first minute. Of the three VAR checks that followed Gordon’s contentious winner, perhaps the most surprising verdict was Joelinton being cleared for his push on Gabriel Magalhães. Regardless, while Arteta rails at Premier League officials, his own decision-making should also face scrutiny.
    Raya has some parallels with Havertz. Both, so far , failing to deliver on Arteta’s upgrade plan.
    One at the expense of a fans favourite, the other at the expense of £65m.
    I also agree with Peter that we’re probably stuck with both for sometime.
    A knee jerk reaction would seriously devalue Arteta’s credibility at this stage, with Havertz there’s some margin for tinkering given the squad alternatives. Raya, however, is a binary choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    Raya has some parallels with Havertz. Both, so far , failing to deliver on Arteta’s upgrade plan.
    One at the expense of a fans favourite, the other at the expense of £65m.
    I also agree with Peter that we’re probably stuck with both for sometime.
    A knee jerk reaction would seriously devalue Arteta’s credibility at this stage, with Havertz there’s some margin for tinkering given the squad alternatives. Raya, however, is a binary choice.
    As Arteta seems to have recognised Zinny's flaws at LB, I find myself wondering why he isn't tried in the Havertz position. He plays in midfield for the Ukraine and to great effect the times I've watched him there.

Which was once