Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ramsdale has to come back in now

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Are you serious? Guy is played clean through from our comfortable possession and he loses his footing trying to furiously backpeddle. You think that is worse than passing to an opponent in your own box, or getting chipped when you are supposed to be on your line?

Questionable for the first Spurs goal. Directly at fault for the goal against Lens. Chaotic against City and inches away from conceding from our possession. Chipped on his line and surrendered possession in his own box at Chelsea.

'Hasn't been great' is a dramatic understatement.
    As I've said before, I don't think Raya is as mentally strong as Ramsdale. When Ramsdale makes an error, he owns it and doesn't fall to pieces in the way Raya seems to.
    I do think Mikel is making a rod for his own back but putting ridiculous pressure on the keepers though.
    Last edited by PSRB; 10-23-2023 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    As I've said before, I don't think Raya isn't as mentally strong as Ramsdale. When Ramsdale makes an error, he owns it and doesn't fall to pieces in the way Raya seems to.
    I do think Mikel is making a rod for his own back but putting ridiculous pressure on the keepers though.
    Yes, I agree with that, Ramsdale has made his share of errors but he strikes me as very mentally strong. I'm not convinced at all on Raya in this regard and that's dangerous for a keeper.

See also Peter's favourite - Manuel Almunia

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Played clean through

He was about 20 yds outside the box and there was a defender goal side when he hit it. All Ramsdale had to do was move straight back about 4-5 yards and the ball would have floated into his hands. Instead he twisted himself into a knot and fell over while the ball bounced into the goal
    You need to watch it again. He has every reason to panic. Bloke could have chipped him comfortably and he would have been out of the game. The defender is nowhere near getting to him, nor even trying. He doesn't have his bearings because he is miles from goal and the situation has come completely out of the blue. Falling over wasn't the best idea but I can't buy that as a huge error.

You are also completely ignoring the fact that the problem was not even close to being of Ramsdale's making. His position is fine given where we had the ball and even if he fears we could lose it he can have no expectation that it would happen so cleanly and so quickly.

All of Raya's errors were totally down to him and were easily avoidable.

Yes, I agree with that, Ramsdale has made his share of errors but he strikes me as very mentally strong. I'm not convinced at all on Raya in this regard and that's dangerous for a keeper.

See also Peter's favourite - Manuel Almunia
    Again, I wasn't saying Almunia was great. I was saying that Fabianski's game was a mess and he needed to sort it out. He was making huge errors every time he played.

But you don't really care for nuance, do you...

Again, I wasn't saying Almunia was great. I was saying that Fabianski's game was a mess and he needed to sort it out. He was making huge errors every time he played.

But you don't really care for nuance, do you...
    Oh I thought my Almunia wind up of you Peter was very nuanced

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    As I've said before, I don't think Raya is as mentally strong as Ramsdale. When Ramsdale makes an error, he owns it and doesn't fall to pieces in the way Raya seems to.
    It is also fair to point out that Raya clearly isn't totally comfortable with the players around him yet. Our midfield is far less settled than it was last season and Raya has just come in. He will get better.

He does have several technical advantages over Ramsdale and he is far more comfortable coming for the ball. But at the moment, he is a liability.

Oh I thought my Almunia wind up of you Peter was very nuanced
    I was paraphrasing one of your fellow countrymen....

It is also fair to point out that Raya clearly isn't totally comfortable with the players around him yet. Our midfield is far less settled than it was last season and Raya has just come in. He will get better.

He does have several technical advantages over Ramsdale and he is far more comfortable coming for the ball. But at the moment, he is a liability.
    How reasonable of you, Peter

I don't think there's much in it, it's amazing how good the player who isn't playing much can be. Arteta will stick with Raya for the forseeable and I doubt it will make much difference.

I'm more puzzled by the play of Odegaard and a few others on Saturday. Shocking.

How reasonable of you, Peter

I don't think there's much in it, it's amazing how good the player who isn't playing much can be. Arteta will stick with Raya for the forseeable and I doubt it will make much difference.

I'm more puzzled by the play of Odegaard and a few others on Saturday. Shocking.
    At this point, it is purely about form. Raya needs to get his head together and we just can't afford to be losing goals. We cannot afford to lose in Sevilla.

We weren't great on Saturday. Not a huge surprise coming so soon after the break with little preparation. Odegaard is one of those players who suffers when he is slightly off. His game is about technique and precision so his contributions drop very quickly if he is rusty or knackered.

He may have been more deity than human but even Dennis used to struggle a little the first game back after one of his many suspensions.

At this point, it is purely about form. Raya needs to get his head together and we just can't afford to be losing goals. We cannot afford to lose in Sevilla.

We weren't great on Saturday. Not a huge surprise coming so soon after the break with little preparation. Odegaard is one of those players who suffers when he is slightly off. His game is about technique and precision so his contributions drop very quickly if he is rusty or knackered.

He may have been more deity than human but even Dennis used to struggle a little the first game back after one of his many suspensions.
    The pitch was abysmal, completely ****ed our passing game, as the ball just didn't roll. Grass looked long and so much rain. Yes, it's the same for both teams but certainly suited Chelsea more.
    Last edited by PSRB; 10-23-2023 at 03:31 PM.