Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questions: Where does this North London Forever **** come from? Was it a fan thing

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    They were going to Rome to see the pope when I started going in 1978. I’d say that qualifies as ‘back in the day’, no?
    Indeed it does. Proper lyrical banter and a far better offering than some turgid, cockney, dewey eyed cack that even has a passage glorifying that plate of culinary horse**** that is pie, mash & liquor. Good grief.

They were going to Rome to see the pope when I started going in 1978. I’d say that qualifies as ‘back in the day’, no?
    I first heard it I'd say about '74. I am convinced it didn't start with "The wánky Tottenham Hotspur". Is my memory playing tricks on me C? How is your menagerie btw? Has it expanded even further or did you get bored with the flea-ridden wee ****s and flog 'em to Maccy D?

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    I first heard it I'd say about '74. I am convinced it didn't start with "The wánky Tottenham Hotspur". Is my memory playing tricks on me C? How is your menagerie btw? Has it expanded even further or did you get bored with the flea-ridden wee ****s and flog 'em to Maccy D?
    It provokes a question. Not about C’s nags but when the bantering rivalry actually began. My young ears weren’t tuned into it during those games against Leeds in the late 60’s when the old man first took me along to Highbury. He used to tell me of when he was a kid, during those post war groundshare days, getting passed over shoulders to the front and how he’d schlepp along to see Arsenal one week and Spurs the next. Unthinkable nowadays of course.

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    It provokes a question. Not about C’s nags but when the bantering rivalry actually began. My young ears weren’t tuned into it during those games against Leeds in the late 60’s when the old man first took me along to Highbury. He used to tell me of when he was a kid, during those post war groundshare days, getting passed over shoulders to the front and how he’d schlepp along to see Arsenal one week and Spurs the next. Unthinkable nowadays of course.
    Unnaffordable for one thing

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    I do have a recollection of it being, “the famous Tottenham Hotspur”, now you mention it.

3 cats, 3 chickens, 1 dog, 4 horses. I’m ****ing knackered.

Indeed it does. Proper lyrical banter and a far better offering than some turgid, cockney, dewey eyed cack that even has a passage glorifying that plate of culinary horse**** that is pie, mash & liquor. Good grief.
    I’m not averse to the sentimentality of the thing, but the bloke’s accent bothers me a bit. No whan torks like that, surely?

I think it was about getting away from the wife for a few hours and getting a few pints in.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I think it was about getting away from the wife for a few hours and getting a few pints in.
    Encapsulated here, to perfection.
    https://youtu.be/yqve-jFpAhc?si=2tsLZSeFe4VJEClx

I’m not averse to the sentimentality of the thing, but the bloke’s accent bothers me a bit. No whan torks like that, surely?
    This is where we are, sadly. Change is as inevitable as a sh1t advert from Malteser’s, I suppose.

London, together with it’s accent has evolved more culturally in the last 20 years than the previous 120, perhaps longer. It’s the pace of change that’s difficult to take in.

This is where we are, sadly. Change is as inevitable as a sh1t advert from Malteser’s, I suppose.

London, together with it’s accent has evolved more culturally in the last 20 years than the previous 120, perhaps longer. It’s the pace of change that’s difficult to take in.
    Sign of age, that.