Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I am not too concerned about a pre season friendly defeat.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    I’m indifferent towards Balogun but have to acknowledge what he achieved in France. It’s clearly put him firmly in the transfer window. and, to be fair to the lad, why should he now accept his career going into reverse by warming the bench.
    There’s a real opportunity for any player to take on that 9 shirt at Arsenal, it’s obviously beyond Nketiah but it depends if Arteta sees enough in Balogun to allow him a run at it,
    Farmer's league

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Farmer's league
    Perhaps not as good as the PL but you can only react to what’s put infront of you and all that. I wouldn’t hang the guy for choosing the US either, it’s not as if he’s going to displace Kane, is it ?
    Take your opportunities. He took them 🤷*♀️

Perhaps not as good as the PL but you can only react to what’s put infront of you and all that. I wouldn’t hang the guy for choosing the US either, it’s not as if he’s going to displace Kane, is it ?
    Take your opportunities. He took them 🤷*♀️
    Kane has what 2 or 3 years left as top dog with currently no obvious successor. Balogun needs to prove himself in the PL and could easily have put himself in pole position. Looks to just want an easy ride, imo

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Kane has what 2 or 3 years left as top dog with currently no obvious successor. Balogun needs to prove himself in the PL and could easily have put himself in pole position. Looks to just want an easy ride, imo
    You may be right but apathy at that age is a rare thing, perhaps he’s just hungry to make his mark with no affiliation to how he achieves that goal. We expect loyalty as fans but many players don’t choose that path. I still think there are many ahead of him in the queue behind Kane. Toney for one, if he can stay away from the bookies.

You may be right but apathy at that age is a rare thing, perhaps he’s just hungry to make his mark with no affiliation to how he achieves that goal. We expect loyalty as fans but many players don’t choose that path. I still think there are many ahead of him in the queue behind Kane. Toney for one, if he can stay away from the bookies.
    Toney is 27 though. It's not a question of loyalty, I just suspect the attitude isn't right and it's not that rare for young players already on a decent wedge to become complacent about it all.

Agree about not expecting loyalty but he just doesn't have the desire to fight for the place which is disappointing. As regards the French league would like to point out that Lacazette scored as many goals last season there as he did in his last three seasons at Arsenal (not knocking Laca who had great qualities as a team player as well)

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal Alcoholic Review View Post
    I don't think young Edward is irreplaceable in the current squad, nor would big money be needed to massively improve us by replacing him. As an example i'd say the versions of Chamakh and Togo, signed at the time Wenger signed them would hugely improve on Eddie based on how we play. Even in todays money based on inflation those players would cost around £20m. Arteta ball is crying out for a certain type of forward. We don't actually have it on paper but Jesus does excell playing that role with his back to goal sacrificing himself for the team.
    Agree with that. Eddie failed to cement his place last season and has been largely dining out on the run in from the previous season.
    Always room for improvement but for me there’s not enough.
    Balogun, I suspect, is another Andy Cole in the making elsewhere.

Strikers; tricky fellows, those.

Especially academy ones.

Same at every big club; supporters will ALWAYS believe they can afford to buy better. And all to often, the club agrees

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    But we need a striker.

In other words not Eddie. and a I do like Mr Jesus but he does seem to have a habit of falling down constantly looking for free kicks and pens and it's getting annoying.

other notes: one of these days the other teams are going to break Saka
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Especially academy ones.

Same at every big club; supporters will ALWAYS believe they can afford to buy better. And all to often, the club agrees
    When was the last time a striker from our academy became a regular starter for us? Super Kevin Campbell? Or Merse if you go by most recent to play for us?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    When was the last time a striker from our academy became a regular starter for us? Super Kevin Campbell? Or Merse if you go by most recent to play for us?
    Bendtner. You might say he was poached from a foreign academy but Eddie himself joined us pretty late into his youth career from Chelsea. Ironically Chelsea released him and Declan Rice at the same time.
    Feck Cultural Marxist BLM