Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cricket Summary

Cricket Summary

Declared too early, Root was in and could easily have knocked another 30-40 more on.
    Bairstow should be a batsman only, he's not a keeper. Drop one of Crawley/Duckett
    Stokes - if he can't actually bowl, does he deserve a spot?
    Anderson out - Wood in
    There must be a sodding spinner somewhere in county cricket

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Declared too early, Root was in and could easily have knocked another 30-40 more on.
    Bairstow should be a batsman only, he's not a keeper. Drop one of Crawley/Duckett
    Stokes - if he can't actually bowl, does he deserve a spot?
    Anderson out - Wood in
    There must be a sodding spinner somewhere in county cricket
    Root could have been out next ball - we certainly wanted Aussies in first thing Saturday morning in the conditions so not really a great deal to see there

Bairstow had a bad game behind the stumps but he is very good keeper and has proved so in the past. He is also the most destructive lower middle order batsman in world cricket by some distance - absolute ridiculous to think he could open imo

Stokes - you are kidding right?

Anderson-Wood - Agree on that

Or we play Root as the main spinner and pick another bowling option. Woakes likes Lord's (and is a decent bat)

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Root could have been out next ball - we certainly wanted Aussies in first thing Saturday morning in the conditions so not really a great deal to see there

Bairstow had a bad game behind the stumps but he is very good keeper and has proved so in the past. He is also the most destructive lower middle order batsman in world cricket by some distance - absolute ridiculous to think he could open imo

Or we play Root as the main spinner and pick another bowling option. Woakes likes Lord's (and is a decent bat)
    Root never looked like getting out in either innings (and only did because he played a shot he normally wouldn't). The declaration was daft, especially on that featherbed of a pitch. Had the ball been hooping around, then maybe I'd get it.

Foakes in, don't care how it's done, we need a WC keeper

No, I'm not kidding. If your all rounder can't actually all round, then he's 50% of the player picked. Also if he's not fit then he's not batting or fielding at his best. He's currently a Mike Brearley. By the way, I'm not questioning his ability at all, he's just clearly not fit.
    Last edited by PSRB; 06-21-2023 at 09:34 AM.

Root never looked like getting out in either innings (and only did because he played a shot he normally wouldn't). The declaration was daft, especially on that featherbed of a pitch. Had the ball been hooping around, then maybe I'd get it.

Foakes in, don't care how it's done, we need a WC keeper

No, I'm not kidding. If your all rounder can't actually all round, then he's 50% of the player picked. Also if he's not fit then he's not batting or fielding at his best. He's currently a Mike Brearley. By the way, I'm not questioning his ability at all, he's just clearly not fit.
    So the sort of shot he would play if batting with a no 10 then? He might not have looked like getting out but he did

Is Foakes world class? Bar must be low - I actually think he is wildly overrated as a keeper - not the second coming of Russell or Foster/Reid. Too tall to be a keeper for a start (ask Tony C) and John Simpson is actually better FACT
    https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...o-near-catches
    Surprising little criticism of him for this - poor judgement to go for a catch that was straight into first slip's hands and poor techinique to drop a chance at a decent height for a keeper. Dropping a bloke who scored three centuries in three tests as well. (All right doesn't help that they then show Jonny dropping a simple slip catch

[QUOTE=Luis Anaconda;4271606]So the sort of shot he would play if batting with a no 10 then? He might not have looked like getting out but he did

He was 118*

They should have batted the day out at least or been ao. Nothing will change my mind on this. I love the positive cricket but that was just daft.

Foakes can also bat

If Ali's finger is injured, then I'd be up for that as he's also a good test no.8

However, have you seen the stats on JA's and SB's averages when Curran plays? They're something like 5-10 runs lower over that period.

Some guy in The Times said he was batting in the CC on a road, and all the top/middle order got tons, including him. He was scoring off everyone, even Caddick who he normally found difficult. So the opposing captain gave some part-time left armer a go. The different angles took him right out of his comfort zone and he got out to Caddick not long after.

Yes, ideally we'd have a left-arm quick who can bowl at 90, has great control and can swing and seam it.

But if there's a usable left-armer of the ability of Curran when he started, I'd want that to go with 3 medium-quicks and Stokes, just for the variety. SC could also bat a bit.

We have loads of RH batsmen who bat the LH - Stokes, SB, JA etc.

One can't kids learn to bowl LH? Would give Root some ruff, too.

[QUOTE=PSRB;4271607]
    So the sort of shot he would play if batting with a no 10 then? He might not have looked like getting out but he did

He was 118*

They should have batted the day out at least or been ao. Nothing will change my mind on this. I love the positive cricket but that was just daft.

Foakes can also bat
    It was 25 minutes

Would also like to say I am a big fan of Foakes - he is a quality player. Despite being Surrey scum and a bit too handsome

[QUOTE=Luis Anaconda;4271609]

It was 25 minutes

Would also like to say I am a big fan of Foakes - he is a quality player. Despite being Surrey scum and a bit too handsome
    Another 10-15 runs could have made the difference.

I still think we'll win the series. We were the better side

[QUOTE=PSRB;4271610]

Another 10-15 runs could have made the difference.

I still think we'll win the series. We were the better side
    Definitely agree with the last bit - bring it on

[QUOTE=Luis Anaconda;4271611]

Definitely agree with the last bit - bring it on
    More importantly - best test match I have ever seen.

Sat at my desk watching it on the phone and didn't get home until 9pm. Missus said 'late meeting?', 'no, was sat at my desk watching the cricket on my phone'