Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: We look a shambles at the back but that was a nailed on pen

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    And we look pretty good in midfield and going forward.

Does Tierney understand he’s meant to be playing LB?
    We look a shambles because we are.

Arteta's game plan appears to be, entirely, get the ball to Tierney or Pepe and get a cross in (despite not having a Giroud type player anymore). Which is great when it works (1/25) but ****e when it doesn't (24/25) especially on the left as KT will be out of position more often than not.

The opponents have worked this out. The fans have worked this out. The only people who appear to think it is some kind of secret, is the coaching staff.

When we can't probe the wing we go back, back, sideways and then to the other wing #horseshoeofdeath.

Predictable, ineffective ****e. And that is why Arteta is not the man.

Hassling the man in his car after the match is, however, abhorrrent.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    We look a shambles because we are.

Arteta's game plan appears to be, entirely, get the ball to Tierney or Pepe and get a cross in (despite not having a Giroud type player anymore). Which is great when it works (1/25) but ****e when it doesn't (24/25) especially on the left as KT will be out of position more often than not.

The opponents have worked this out. The fans have worked this out. The only people who appear to think it is some kind of secret, is the coaching staff.

When we can't probe the wing we go back, back, sideways and then to the other wing #horseshoeofdeath.

Predictable, ineffective ****e. And that is why Arteta is not the man.

Hassling the man in his car after the match is, however, abhorrrent.
    I would point to Saka's penalty appeal and ESR's shot which was blocked at the last second as two examples where this wasn't true. Where we worked well to get into a great position centrally. And that's after thinking about it for 10 seconds.

There were other examples as well. A 3 v 2 which Saka screwed up with a heavy touch also comes to mind. So stop talking sh1te, IUFG

So stop talking sh1te, IUFG

It's the main strategy, WES.

There was an example yesterday when ESR ran towards the box when he could have taken on the defender but chose to pass to KT who was marked. It would have been less risky to take the defender on or shoot. It is a managerial instruction.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

It's the main strategy, WES.

There was an example yesterday when ESR ran towards the box when he could have taken on the defender but chose to pass to KT who was marked. It would have been less risky to take the defender on or shoot. It is a managerial instruction.
    Holding missing a sitter? Ball to the far post, nodded back by Mari, Holding misses a sitter from 4 yards out.

Another example

And working it out wide and getting it 'into the mixer' is hardly new or undesirable. As you suggest, it just needs to be balanced with playing centrally and it would be nice if we had the option on the right side as well. But for that we need a RB, something many of us have been screaming for for some time.

We created more than enough to score yesterday, we just need a striker and some patience as some players are out of form (Saka, Pepe)

Holding missing a sitter? Ball to the far post, nodded back by Mari, Holding misses a sitter from 4 yards out.

Another example

And working it out wide and getting it 'into the mixer' is hardly new or undesirable. As you suggest, it just needs to be balanced with playing centrally and it would be nice if we had the option on the right side as well. But for that we need a RB, something many of us have been screaming for for some time.

We created more than enough to score yesterday, we just need a striker and some patience as some players are out of form (Saka, Pepe)
    www.premierleague.com/match/66352

Those chances come from corners?

Winning 9 corners whilst only having 6 shots suggests there were a fair few crosses.

Agreed, we need to mix it up. I also accept that Chelsea are 2 or 3 levels better than us at the moment, but we found it so difficult to play through midfield whilst they just cut through ours in the first half. They didn't even start Kante.

It is the predictability and slowness of our play that really stinks the place out imo.

www.premierleague.com/match/66352

Those chances come from corners?

Winning 9 corners whilst only having 6 shots suggests there were a fair few crosses.

Agreed, we need to mix it up. I also accept that Chelsea are 2 or 3 levels better than us at the moment, but we found it so difficult to play through midfield whilst they just cut through ours in the first half. They didn't even start Kante.

It is the predictability and slowness of our play that really stinks the place out imo.
    I have to admit that I am starting to have real doubts about the helmet haired one.

But we also need to be realistic. We had 9 players out, no strikers and have invested mostly in younger players recently as that is the strategy. And we were playing the CL champions and a team built on the back of Roman's billions. And there were long periods of play where we controlled the ball well and got into good positions.

I'm betting that if the entire game was played exactly as it occurred but Holding stuck that header away and Saka hadn't screwed up the 3v2 we wouldn't be talking about how boring or deliberate or predictable or sh1t our play was.

I have to admit that I am starting to have real doubts about the helmet haired one.

But we also need to be realistic. We had 9 players out, no strikers and have invested mostly in younger players recently as that is the strategy. And we were playing the CL champions and a team built on the back of Roman's billions. And there were long periods of play where we controlled the ball well and got into good positions.

I'm betting that if the entire game was played exactly as it occurred but Holding stuck that header away and Saka hadn't screwed up the 3v2 we wouldn't be talking about how boring or deliberate or predictable or sh1t our play was.
    This new investing in young players strategy is rather new. latest gimmick from the club.

If they are so interested in youth then why did he bin off Saliba and Guendouzi, Nelson never gets a chance and we sold Willock.

but 12 months ago we signed Willian to a 3 year deal