Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The mantra is really starting to grate now. Stay home, Protect The NHS, Save lives ..

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    gained orthodoxy among Tories who believe that it delivered their thumping majority. I believe that the horror of Jeremy Corbyn, Diane Abbot et al, along with the correct suspicion that Brexit was being subverted, would have delivered the same majority with or without the mantra.

The new "Red Wall" will inevitably collapse in five years time, due to the horrendous privations about to descend on us all and the failure of Brexit to deliver anything but a cheap supply of little Union Jacks. The tories will doubtless conjure up some three word magic spell in the belief it will save them. It won't.
    Hate to remind ya, Herbs, but Labour isn't Working rather did the damage in 1979.

Though given Corbyn was supporting the Winter of Discontent, it's like Man U - Sperz. Maggive vs Corbyn. Why didn't we have the virus then when I was 8, cos I'd have lived, they'd have died and I'd have had months off school?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    But it's not just the last election. It's also the Brexit vote ('Take Back Control') and by contrast, the lack of a positive, proactive message in 2017 ('Strong and Stable', ffs!)
    The message that had them over 20 pts ahead for about 3 weeks before the dementia tax, you mean?

Not rewriting history with hindsight again, are we?

I'm not convinced the slogan that was to blame, it was more the fact it was coming out of Theresa May's mouth. She'd have made "Get Brexit Done" sound like an apology. When Tory support completely collapsed to allow Blair in it wasn't anything to do with Labour mantras, it was the loss of the belief of Tory financial acumen caused by Black Wednesday (and many other factors).

I don't think any message, however brilliantly contrived, could have saved the day for the tories in '97 any more than the most lame messaging could have lost them this election just gone.
    New Labour, New Britain was very significant. Am I the only real political history geek here?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    The message that had them over 20 pts ahead for about 3 weeks before the dementia tax, you mean?

Not rewriting history with hindsight again, are we?
    They were polling that and better before they even started campaigning, gg. That's why the election took place. That slogan was indicative of a campaign based on the deeply uninspiring idea that a May government would just plod along competently. Nobody was enthused by it. The fact that their campaign and manifesto were also abortions were all just symptoms of the same thing.

Go out, mix with people, create the immunity barrier, save mankind

The way it has to be crowbarred into every non answer. Each time I hear it I see Cummings' çunt ugly face.
    The NHS has billions shoveled into it, and at the first sign of emergency, it surrenders faster than the French army.
    Scrap the ****ing thing now.

May I make it clear that i fully support the hard working medical staff, my anger with the NHS failings lie elsewhere. Nor is the answer to throw more cash at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    They were polling that and better before they even started campaigning, gg. That's why the election took place. That slogan was indicative of a campaign based on the deeply uninspiring idea that a May government would just plod along competently. Nobody was enthused by it. The fact that their campaign and manifesto were also abortions were all just symptoms of the same thing.
    And they used that slogan without damaging their poll rating for 3 weeks.

Then she dementia taxed, u-turned, denied u-turning, and somehow made 2 terrorist attacks look like a win for Jez. Thank fück she wasn't leading my side. Oh...

Quote Originally Posted by dismalswamp View Post
    The NHS has billions shoveled into it, and at the first sign of emergency, it surrenders faster than the French army.
    Scrap the ****ing thing now.

May I make it clear that i fully support the hard working medical staff, my anger with the NHS failings lie elsewhere. Nor is the answer to throw more cash at it.
    Out of interest, where do you get the idea that the French army surrenders more than the Brits from?

We legged it in 1940, not them, and the only reason we escaped is coz they suicided defending the outer perimeter.

Have the Frogs ever legged it like we did from Kabul in the 1st Afghan War? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Out of interest, where do you get the idea that the French army surrenders more than the Brits from?

We legged it in 1940, not them, and the only reason we escaped is coz they suicided defending the outer perimeter.

30% of the troops taken off at Dunkirk were French, so they certainly did leg it.

One of the reasons the operation was possible was the brave perimeter action fought by French and British troops. More important was Hitler’s decision to halt the panzers - which were, in truth, desperately short of fuel and maintenance by that time. Furthermore, without the RAF containing the Luftwaffe before they reached the beaches, both troops and ships would have been bombed to nothing.

How did your precious Frogs get on when the winter turned a little chilly in Moscow, anyway? Oh yes, they turned round and slunk off home.

A tactical retreat or 'legging it' is not the same as surrendering though is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    30% of the troops taken off at Dunkirk were French, so they certainly did leg it.

One of the reasons the operation was possible was the brave perimeter action fought by French and British troops. More important was Hitler’s decision to halt the panzers - which were, in truth, desperately short of fuel and maintenance by that time. Furthermore, without the RAF containing the Luftwaffe before they reached the beaches, both troops and ships would have been bombed to nothing.

How did your precious Frogs get on when the winter turned a little chilly in Moscow, anyway? Oh yes, they turned round and slunk off home.
    One of the most idiotically ignored facts of Operation Dynamo is the extent to which the RAF savaged the Luftwaffe and what they sacrificed to do so. Arguably more strategically important than winning the Battle of Britain.