Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would anyone care to enlighten me as to why the manager of the Arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    There were few greater critics of AW's dress sense than I - his silly (albeit practical) coats and inability to tie a proper knot in his tie infuriated me for years. However, he'd never have turned up looking like that.
    A coat you can't zip up is hardly practical!

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Whilst I appreciate that you are taking the p1ss - I will point out a factual inaccuracy.

Wenger - on occasion - wore a track suit and trainers to a match. A quick google will show this is true.

HNY BTW - not sure about you but I'm hoping for Ian Lavery to replace Corbyn. Carnage is an insufficient word to describe what might happen internally in Labour should that occur.
    Indeed, Wenger could be a right scruff!

Do we not want an effective, centrist opposition? At least then Boris might give us some tax cuts.

The pleasure I took in the election result will pale in comparison to the pleasure I expect to take in watching the massive fight within Labour over the next leader and the associated policies they will support. There is so much denial in place from the Corbyn supporters and so much anger from the centrists that I can only see an implosion coming.

If the unions win they are unelectable, if the centrists win the party might split in two. Great fun.
    The demographic facts are that with Scotland gone (apparently for good), there is zero prospect of Labour forming a majority government again in our lifetimes. Therefore, the only sane thing for them to do is move to the centre and try to form some sort of 'progressive alliance' with the LibDems, SNP and so forth. However, this will happen over the dead bodies of many of the hard left who now control the party.

You also have to factor in that whoever is elected leader is seriously unlikely ever to become PM and at best may have to settle for a Kinnock-style rebuilding role. Bit of a tricky one for an ambitious politician to swallow, that.
    Last edited by Burney; 01-02-2020 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    So a strong opposition isn't a good thing? That goes against all rational thinking.

Boris with no opposition could be the worse thing that could happen
    Boris has an 80-seat majority. In practical terms, he already has no opposition.

The demographic facts are that with Scotland gone (apparently for good), there is zero prospect of Labour forming a majority government again in our lifetimes. Therefore, the only sane thing for them to do is move to the centre and try to form some sort of 'progressive alliance' with the LibDems, SNP and so forth. However, this will happen over the dead bodies of many of the hard left who now control the party.

You also have to factor in that whoever is elected leader is seriously unlikely ever to become PM and at best may have to settle for a Kinnock-style rebuilding role. Bit of a tricky one for an ambitious politician to swallow, that.
    The beauty of it is that Brexit gave the Corbyn lovers an out on why they lost the election and they have jumped all over it no matter how strong the evidence to the contrary is. It's pretty unique, I think, that a party could lose that badly and not consider a complete rethink of their policies and strategy.

It feels like they need another election hammering before the move back to the centre happens. That means at least 10 years more of Conservative rule by which point I shall be retired.

The beauty of it is that Brexit gave the Corbyn lovers an out on why they lost the election and they have jumped all over it no matter how strong the evidence to the contrary is. It's pretty unique, I think, that a party could lose that badly and not consider a complete rethink of their policies and strategy.

It feels like they need another election hammering before the move back to the centre happens. That means at least 10 years more of Conservative rule by which point I shall be retired.
    Thing is, I think they're well aware how toxic Corbyn and Corbynism are, but they are genuinely more concerned with being in control of the Party than of the country. They will fight tooth and nail not to relinquish it.

Arteta would pipe all of your wives & girlfriends even if he did run through Sports Direct covered in superglue.

Not my girls tho as I'm a different breed all together.

Boris has an 80-seat majority. In practical terms, he already has no opposition.
    he at least needs someone to question him when he fails to deliver on the promises.
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

he at least needs someone to question him when he fails to deliver on the promises.
    Meh. Politicians have to promise the undeliverable; it's a flaw in the democratic model that if they told you the truth you wouldn't vote for them.

Questioning them about it is a farce.

I'm sure the BBC will ask him some questions, p.

And then he'll decriminalise non-payment of the licence fee and destroy them.