Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone eaten at The German Gymnasium?

Anyone eaten at The German Gymnasium?

Been booked in there to take some people out to lunch. Trempted by the Schweinhaxe, but worry that consuming a giant, steaming limb in front of people from whom I want money may not be the best move.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Been booked in there to take some people out to lunch. Trempted by the Schweinhaxe, but worry that consuming a giant, steaming limb in front of people from whom I want money may not be the best move.
    I've heard conflicting reports about the food. Some say a decent attempt at German specialities. Others say, tourist rip-off shíte. So good luck and let me know.

There is no way of eating Schweinshaxe with dignity, tbh.

Spooky. I litewally decided this morning to go for early din dins there on the way back from the game on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Spooky. I litewally decided this morning to go for early din dins there on the way back from the game on Sunday.
    The funny thing is, I thought it was called the German Gymnasium as a refence to school for some reason but then it turns out the building used to be a gymnasium! How amazing is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I've heard conflicting reports about the food. Some say a decent attempt at German specialities. Others say, tourist rip-off shíte. So good luck and let me know.

There is no way of eating Schweinshaxe with dignity, tbh.
    Certainly the prices are a touch eye-watering given that these are mostly dishes one would find in most places in Germany for flumpence, but people have to make a living, I suppose.

I notice they do that godawful liver dumpling soup that Alsaciens claim to like. I shan't be ordering that.

I’m fully anticipating an ersatz Fischer’s.

But where else you gonna go that’s a stone’s throw from St. Pancras? F*cking Caravan?

The funny thing is, I thought it was called the German Gymnasium as a refence to school for some reason but then it turns out the building used to be a gymnasium! How amazing is that?

Yes. It's quite interesting how prevalent German restaurants, food, habits and people were in this country before they decided to try and take over world twice in quick succession and murdered millions and everyone went off them a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    I’m fully anticipating an ersatz Fischer’s.

But where else you gonna go that’s a stone’s throw from St. Pancras? F*cking Caravan?
    I rather like The Gilbert Scott, although I haven't been for a couple of years so can't vouch for it recently.

I rather like The Gilbert Scott, although I haven't been for a couple of years so can't vouch for it recently.
    The crispy bits of pig's head were a particular treat. Don't know if they still do them, mind. Last went there three or four years ago.

It’s a lovely restaurant, but it hardly screams “hearty winter’s grub to warm the soul after watching us get anally raped in the freezing cold at the Emirates”

I will be needing schnitzel.