Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: That was miles better than I expected.

Right. I'm sure our lads all look terrific in training.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    We could ask them to stop doing it but I think they would view that as an unreasonable request.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    our entire team think that defending involves running backwards towards our own goal whilst not making a fúcking challenge for the ball.

Leno (and maybe Kolasinac) apart, that team performance was a fúcking shambles. Or indeed, as they pointed out last night, not a team, 11 players.
    To some extent, the running backwards is the job of the back four. It's the fact that nobody is running backwards (or running at all) that is the problem.

For that second Norwich goal the back four retreated to the box, in a line, forced the guy on the ball wide and stopped him at the edge of the box. So he turned inside, played the ball into an advancing midfielder who was stood totally on his own outside the box and walked straight through. He must have run past three of our midfielders to get there.

Arguably the back four did its job but the midfield cover was nowhere to be seen.

I think the midfield is the bigger problem defensively. Opposition players should not be running directly at your back four. It happens pretty much every time we lose the ball.
    I've been making the same point, p - no one listens

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Sounds like the real problem is opposition players?
    Also a very good point

I think the midfield is the bigger problem defensively. Opposition players should not be running directly at your back four. It happens pretty much every time we lose the ball.
    It's comical, every time, there's a massive whole in the middle of the park.