Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob Willis gone

Bob Willis gone

Genuinely quite upset about that, even though he was a miserable sod

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Me too - was my favourite bowler when I was young. Will never forget my mum waiting at the top of our drive when I got home from school waiting to tell me that England had somehow won that Test. Had the framed scorecard from the Daily Express with a big cartoon of Bob in full flow

RIP Gloomy Bob

The Cricket Debate will not be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    RIP Gloomy Bob

The Cricket Debate will not be the same.
    I would also add that the persona on Sky was mostly an act. Know people who had the pleasure of drinking with him and all said he was great company

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Oh man me too, that a big one rip
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'

'Now you're unemployed, all non-void
    Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd'

Seen. RIP, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by barrybueno View Post
    Oh man me too, that a big one rip
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Me too - was my favourite bowler when I was young. Will never forget my mum waiting at the top of our drive when I got home from school waiting to tell me that England had somehow won that Test. Had the framed scorecard from the Daily Express with a big cartoon of Bob in full flow
    He was the fave bowler of everyone of our generation, though. The run up from the boundary, the arm swinging violently behind the back, the flowing locks.

Having grown up hearing terror stories of Lillie and Thommo, now we had a white quick doing it to them.

Curtley's still my all time fave, though. That thing he did with his hands after taking a wicket. Honourable mention to Lasith's yorker.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    He was the fave bowler of everyone of our generation, though. The run up from the boundary, the arm swinging violently behind the back, the flowing locks.
    And the bobbing head.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post

Having grown up hearing terror stories of Lillie and Thommo, now we had a white quick doing it to them.

Curtley's still my all time fave, though. That thing he did with his hands after taking a wicket. Honourable mention to Lasith's yorker.
    hmm - Willis actually made his Test debut before Lillee and Thomson, and the career's kind of run concurrently - so we always had one threat to match theirs (though Willis's knackered knees meant he missed a couple of seasons in the mod 70s when the other duo were in their pomp). His Ashes record was phenomenal. Also a big fan of Curtley but Marshall was the best ever quick I've seen

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    hmm - Willis actually made his Test debut before Lillee and Thomson, and the career's kind of run concurrently - so we always had one threat to match theirs (though Willis's knackered knees meant he missed a couple of seasons in the mod 70s when the other duo were in their pomp). His Ashes record was phenomenal. Also a big fan of Curtley but Marshall was the best ever quick I've seen
    I always think of John Snow as being our main quick in the 70s Lillee-Thompson era.