Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: We appear to have a league game on Thursday.

You are no footbal fan b. You have revealed yourself for you have made no mention

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It could be the greatest sporting spectacle on earth, but if neither of them is 'your' team, it's not going to compare, is it?
    whatsoever of the pleasure one derives from the visceral, almost sensual loathing one has for a rival's team. I will actually fork out a tenner on NOW TV to watch United in the hope of seeing them lose and if they establish a lead I'll switch off in disgust. I am a wretch

The sort of people who are prepared to make 200-mile round trips to watch lower league football are going to do it whether the PL is on telly or not. Because they're basically mentally ill.
    To an extent, my feeling is that that applies to anyone who'd even cross the road to watch 'their' awful team play awful football. Because it's not about the quality of the football, it's about who you support. And Man City vs. Liverpool is as remote to those people as Real Madrid v Barcelona is to us. It could be the greatest sporting spectacle on earth, but if neither of them is 'your' team, it's not going to compare, is it?
    But not everyone who goes to a football match actually has either of those teams as their main team. plenty of people I know will go to watch a match on a weekend when their team is away as they want to watch a game. If their team was on TV then they wouldn't go, so attendances will suffer.
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

The matchday experience is fine, I think, so long as you actually want to enjoy going to football matches. So many different and often new, demands on everyone's time (and money) nowadays and football is just trying to compete, stay in the game, so to speak.

I've always felt that the restrictions on live TV coverage represent a rather shameful admission by the football authorities that - for all their talk about what a great 'product' it is - a significant percentage of football fans wouldn't bother attending live football if it weren't the only means of seeing the game.

That seems to me to suggest that they know just what a load of shít the 'matchday experience' really is.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."