Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: We appear to have a league game on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    And it kicks off at 20:15.

What satanic noinsense is this now?

God alone know what the Thursday business is about, but evening games kick off at 19:30. A 20:15 kick off means leaving the stadium at, what, 10 pm? You're not going to get home until 11! On a weeknight!
    !9:45, Shirley?

And the ten minute half time, only one substitution days are long gone, my friend. And we have a thing called VAR which adds another 10 minutes to a match, so not much change out of a 10:30 egress. After beddybyes for some, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    and, I'd happily pay £5 per match to watch at home and avoid all the unnecessary business of attending matches. I'd pick and choose which ones to attend in person, of course, and let those reds have a stab at tickets.
    I find it far less stressful to attend than watch on television, for some reason. Probably because there are mechanisms of letting off a bit of steam. Calling Xhaka dreadful things and booing constantly, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I find it far less stressful to attend than watch on television, for some reason. Probably because there are mechanisms of letting off a bit of steam. Calling Xhaka dreadful things and booing constantly, for example.
    Actually, that's true. Although one of the things I quite like about our current awfulness is that it's almost relaxing watching games where it doesn't really matter what happens. Games back when every point counted were almost unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Enough of the lower leagues fans would stay at home and that would have a massive effect on their finances. Not sure many of the better Championship clubs would see much difference.

You can watch the highlights of every game within minutes anyway so it osn't really a big deal.

Would be interesting to compare Championship midweek attendances from last season as you can watch all those games live on the red buitton now
    Do we have any actual proof of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I'm guessing surveys have been done but they'd be about as useful as an exit poll. What people say isn't always what they would actually do. Just show the 3pm's for a season and see imo.
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'

'Now you're unemployed, all non-void
    Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd'

This is one of those internet things. If you were having a chat down the pub and yer man said, 'Most football fans would prefer lager to brown sauce', you might reply, 'I'm not so sure...'

On tinternet though, 'Citation required!' or 'Link?' Opinions must be backed by evidence, generall meaning a Wikipedia article.

Funny old world we've made.

Not sure if anyone has ever done a survey, so no idea, but i am fairly confident that a 200 mile round trip for away fans won't seen so appealing.
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Not sure if anyone has ever done a survey, so no idea, but i am fairly confident that a 200 mile round trip for away fans won't seen so appealing.
    I can't believe a few people and a dog not travelling to an away game would have any noticeable affect on club finances

The sort of people who are prepared to make 200-mile round trips to watch lower league football are going to do it whether the PL is on telly or not. Because they're basically mentally ill.
    To an extent, my feeling is that that applies to anyone who'd even cross the road to watch 'their' awful team play awful football. Because it's not about the quality of the football, it's about who you support. And Man City vs. Liverpool is as remote to those people as Real Madrid v Barcelona is to us. It could be the greatest sporting spectacle on earth, but if neither of them is 'your' team, it's not going to compare, is it?
    Last edited by Burney; 12-02-2019 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    This is one of those internet things. If you were having a chat down the pub and yer man said, 'Most football fans would prefer lager to brown sauce', you might reply, 'I'm not so sure...'

On tinternet though, 'Citation required!' or 'Link?' Opinions must be backed by evidence, generall meaning a Wikipedia article.

Funny old world we've made.
    I wasn't really doing that, though. I was genuinely asking if there was any support for this received wisdom or whether it was just what the football authorities reckon based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever. I know p is a referee or some sort of FA lackey, so wondered if he actually knew something.