Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unlike Mrs WES, I quite like Rick Stein - but his latest series in France is rubbish

Unlike Mrs WES, I quite like Rick Stein - but his latest series in France is rubbish

he's actually made me not want to live and eat there.

How can you go through Burgundy and not leave the viewer with the overwhelming urge to migrate? The food he ate and the food he made, looked terrible and amateurish. Unbelievable.

The Alsace (sorry, red) was the worst. Do people there really only eat cold sausage, potatoes and pickled veg? And drink sh1t wine?

If true, might be an idea to not tell anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post

How can you go through Burgundy and not leave the viewer with the overwhelming urge to migrate? The food he ate and the food he made, looked terrible and amateurish. Unbelievable.

The Alsace (sorry, red) was the worst. Do people there really only eat cold sausage, potatoes and pickled veg? And drink sh1t wine?

It’s basically Germany though. The French aren’t fooling anyone.

The pancake in a petrol station was something of a low point.

Still might make it though...

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    It’s basically Germany though. The French aren’t fooling anyone.
    Well said, 7

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    The pancake in a petrol station was something of a low point.

Still might make it though...
    I thought the duck cottage pie was worse.

A professional chef, on the telly, in front of viewers who pay for the licence to watch him, fries some onions with salt and pepper, throws in some red wine which he barely reduces then adds shredded duck confit, gives it a stir and then sticks mash and cheese on the top and shoves it in an oven.

Seriously?

Do you mean Choucroute Garnie? In which case, yes they do, although it isn’t cold and is five, trencherman fayre.

No, it’s the carpe frite you want to dodge down that way. Truly rank.

As to the wine, the Rieslings are very good (if you’re the sort of bumboy who drinks white, that is). The reds suck, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Do you mean Choucroute Garnie? In which case, yes they do, although it isn’t cold and is five, trencherman fayre.

No, it’s the carpe frite you want to dodge down that way. Truly rank.

As to the wine, the Rieslings are very good (if you’re the sort of bumboy who drinks white, that is). The reds suck, though.
    Not a Riesling fan although I do enjoy white wine as well as red and rose so ner. Nothing wrong with a Puligny-Montrachet, Burney.

Food looked awful. Or to put it another way, German.

Not a Riesling fan although I do enjoy white wine as well as red and rose so ner. Nothing wrong with a Puligny-Montrachet, Burney.

Food looked awful. Or to put it another way, German.
    Oh, I’ll drink it if there’s nothing else. But it’s a girl’s drink, let’s be honest.

Choucroute is very pleasant. Looks a bit daunting if you’re the effete metroponce type, but eats well. The cabbage isn’t so much pickled as fermented, btw. Doesn’t have the harsh, vinegary flavour.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Oh, I’ll drink it if there’s nothing else. But it’s a girl’s drink, let’s be honest.

Choucroute is very pleasant. Looks a bit daunting if you’re the effete metroponce type, but eats well. The cabbage isn’t so much pickled as fermented, btw. Doesn’t have the harsh, vinegary flavour.
    Have you tried andouillette? I had it hot once in Saumur with mustard sauce and managed my way through it. My friend who lives there swears by it. Says once you get the taste you'll love it for life. I haven't got the taste.

Also had some served to me that was cold and slightly pickled as part of a charcuterie plate in Lille. It smelled so vile I never got the courage up to put it in my mouth. The plate included some quite wonderful foie gras. What sort of nut job puts those two things on the same plate?

African, see. Not fussy about food.

"Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."