Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Today, Labour says they’re going to make vets free at the point of use and will ban

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    I did the same at a farm in the Loire Valley. I'd been assured by a Penn & Teller documentary that the geese are in fact entirely unbothered by the procedure due to having no gag reflex (Oh if only your mum could say the same).

Annnnnyway......they bring out the machinery, and all of the geese immediately start freaking out and two of them sh*t themselves
    Oh there was no machinery involved with my chap. This was a purely manual operation. Perhaps that makes a difference?

You realise that birds **** themselves all the time, don't you? They don't 'go for a ****'. It just happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I went with a friend to visit his chum, a foie gras farmer. I expected to be revolted because I'm a hypocritical animal-loving carnivore type, but they insisted I watched feeding time. The bástard geese queued up for the funnel, honking excitedly. They loved that shít!
    'Tis true.

We did a free tekno festie thingumy on this rich hippy's land in '95. Carlucet, down Figeac, Cahors sort of way. Pierre, the hippy owner, got into an argument with some of our hunt-sab type crusties.

But he showed them that the geese love it, running up for brekkers every morning. {Maybe he just soaked it in cognac, and had turned them all into alkies - who knows?}

Anyway, Pierre then made this hippy comparison between his geese and human consumption, saying us humans with our quest to always consume more, even if it'll kill us, are just basically pseudo-simian geese.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    What do you mean, you 'make it yourself'? How can you 'make' foie gras? The fúcking goose makes the foie gras, all you have to do is chuck it in a pan for 30 seconds a side.
    Um no, Charles, it's not quite that simple. Firstly, you may have to de-vein the liver which is a royal pain in the arse. Fortunately, you can now buy raw livers which have been de-veined, which is what I do.

You then marinade it (I use armagnac or sherry, 5 spice, salt and pepper) overnight before putting it in a mold and cooking it in a bain marie for about 20-25 minutes. You then press it and put it back in the fridge.

At that point it can be sliced and served or pan fried as you describe. Personally, I'm not a fan of pan fried foie gras, don't like the jelly texture.