Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Lol! Turns out old Toothytits isn't quite the hit the LibDems thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    I'd like to have seen them pull away a bit more after the Brexit Party's announcement. As it stands they are behind where they were in 2017
    I didn't expect them to, to be honest. And bear in mind that what killed the tories in 2017 was their vote not turning out - whether because of complacency or May's terrible campaign and manifesto. I don't think that'll happen this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I didn't expect them to, to be honest. And bear in mind that what killed the tories in 2017 was their vote not turning out - whether because of complacency or May's terrible campaign and manifesto. I don't think that'll happen this time.
    Hang on, the Tories got over 2.5 million more votes in 2017 compared with 2015...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    What sort of country have we become?
    Jorge said the same thing about the country when 52% voted to leave. As did many others, who seem to genuinely consider that 52% of voters are fascists for wishing to be a sovereign state. Of course those voters are not fascists and nor are labour voters anti-semites or stalinists and all the rest of it. Brexit is not fascism and a Corbyn government would not be communism, however much it seems to suit some to keep repeating this claim loudly and often.

Hang on, the Tories got over 2.5 million more votes in 2017 compared with 2015...
    Yes, but on a turnout of 69% rather than 66% in 2917 and not in the crucial swing seats. They got hugely more votes in Brexit voting constituencies from non-traditional Tory voters (boosting their overall count), but failed to get the core vote out in marginals and even some relatively safe seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    There are so many to choose from. However, I think Alastair Campbell, Nick Cohen, David Aaronovitch, EU Supergirl and that ridiculous Femi individual have to be up there, though.

I think Jorge is a classic example of being on the echo chamber of twitter does to one. He was always obviously wrong about everything, but on here he got plenty of pushback on his nonsense and it probably tempered his excesses. On there he almost only ever spouts his nonsense to people who agree with him, which has made him genuinely insufferable.
    He retweeted something along the lines of 'explain to me how selling our health service to the Americans is good but free broadband and child care is bad'.

I'm sorry, I can respect different opinions if they have even a semblance of intellectual rigour behind them, but garbage like that is so stupid that I can only assume anyone that utters it (or retweets it) is either extraordinarily stupid or utterly insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Jorge said the same thing about the country when 52% voted to leave. As did many others, who seem to genuinely consider that 52% of voters are fascists for wishing to be a sovereign state. Of course those voters are not fascists and nor are labour voters anti-semites or stalinists and all the rest of it. Brexit is not fascism and a Corbyn government would not be communism, however much it seems to suit some to keep repeating this claim loudly and often.
    This is no longer about logic or convincing argument, though. This is about voting remain being shorthand for being one of the good people and voting leave being the act of the evil. All nuance has long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    He retweeted something along the lines of 'explain to me how selling our health service to the Americans is good but free broadband and child care is bad'.

I'm sorry, I can respect different opinions if they have even a semblance of intellectual rigour behind them, but garbage like that is so stupid that I can only assume anyone that utters it (or retweets it) is either extraordinarily stupid or utterly insane.
    HE'S FISHING FOR MORE TWITTER LIKES, RETWEETS & FOLLOWERS YOU THICK ****

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post

I love the idea of 'selling our NHS to the USA'. How would that sales pitch go? "I say, we have here this lovely, Stalinist system that offers terrible health outcomes, costs more than the GDP of many small countries, has purchasing practices no business would even consider, is quite monstrously inefficient and employs more people than the Chinese Army. Fancy buying it?'

HE'S FISHING FOR MORE TWITTER LIKES, RETWEETS & FOLLOWERS YOU THICK ****
    He is, of course. But - and I think this is crucial - I don't think he thinks he is. So what he's saying is what he actually believes and he presumably therefore imagines his arguments to have some validity, so I think your rudeness to WES is unmerited on this occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    You're doing exactly what you are objecting to, Ash. I don't think anyone considers the 52% to be fascists, and equally, it is disingenuous to suggest that all Leave voters simply wanted to be a sovereign state. BTW, you should try telling Italians, Germans and the French that they aren't living in a sovereign state, I think loads of them would be really surprised to find out that that is true.

Equally, I think very few people consider Corbyn, McDonnell et al to be communists, they just use the term for effect, to illustrate how far left the current version of the Labour has really gone. I don't consider them communists or even Marxists but their economic policies genuinely terrify me such would be the impact on the economy.

I'm old enough to remember England in the early to mid 70s and I don't ever want to go back there. Nor should you.