Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
You want to be hand cutting that beef, chum. I use the two knife method, personally, but you dice away as you see fit.
Every previous time I've made it, I've diced by hand myself. When my mate came back yesterday with it minced, I was shocked. I'd never seen it like that. And he was shocked that I'd make steak tartare any other way. I idea of me chopping by hand seemed weird to him.

But last night, with it minced in a beefburger thingumy, it was fine. My mix of tomato sauce, Lea and Perrins and Tobasco coated each morsel and stuck bits of chopped parsley to each side.

Mixed in onions, shallots and cornichons (for him, capers for me) and then an egg yolk.

Didn't taste any different to my normal, hand cut ones.

And his way of mixing it all together in a bowl (as opposed to mine of using piled up egg poachers to make a disk and put an egg yolk on top with the veg in 3 separate piles round the side) worked a treat. It means I can have 2 egg yolks each tonight.

As I say, I've always hand cut before, but it seems like it saves time without changing the taste or texture.

I had my monthly bath and shave today, as I bought a hat yesterday so could have a hair cut. Given myself a mohican. In the butchers, they were a bit shocked that a punk with an English accent wanted half a kee of fillet put through the grinder.

But they were very helpful in the end. Reckon a côte de boeuf will cost €17-20, instead of €40 at our local one in the 4e. And the Fillet was €30 a kee, not 60.

But yes, hand diced looks better and is more therapeutic. But when it's all mixed up in a bowl, you won't notice the difference.