Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When is the Labour manifesto released? Eagerly awaiting to see how much

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

When is the Labour manifesto released? Eagerly awaiting to see how much

free stuff they plan on giving away.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    free stuff they plan on giving away.
    They won't be giving away anything, it will all have to be paid for by our children.

I know you know this, what I find myself wondering is how many of the uneducated masses know this.

Having said that, I still think Labour are going to get swamped in this GE.

Out of interest, what is the top rate of tax in Sweden land and when do you start paying it?

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    They won't be giving away anything, it will all have to be paid for by our children.

I know you know this, what I find myself wondering is how many of the uneducated masses know this.

Out of interest, what is the top rate of tax in Sweden land and when do you start paying it?
    60% is the highest if you’re earning over 1m kronor (about £90k I think). Your employer pays another 9% on top of that.

Oh they will be swamped.... BUT, this general idea that Labour **** up the economy was rubbished when the longest run of growth we have ever had was under Blair/Brown. Putting the BOE in charge of setting interest rates was a major cause of this. I seem to remember the Tory cut rates just before the 1997 election purely as a vote winner even though it would have had a detremental effect on the economy
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Oh they will be swamped.... BUT, this general idea that Labour **** up the economy was rubbished when the longest run of growth we have ever had was under Blair/Brown. Putting the BOE in charge of setting interest rates was a major cause of this. I seem to remember the Tory cut rates just before the 1997 election purely as a vote winner even though it would have had a detremental effect on the economy
    I think it's more what Corbyn/McDonnell/McCluskey will do to the economy than what Labour generally will do. I disagreed with much of what Blair and Brown did but I never thought they would bankrupt the country.

McDonnell is a different beast, he really could destroy our economy and set us back decades.

I think it's more what Corbyn/McDonnell/McCluskey will do to the economy than what Labour generally will do. I disagreed with much of what Blair and Brown did but I never thought they would bankrupt the country.

McDonnell is a different beast, he really could destroy our economy and set us back decades.
    Quite, they were the closest I ever came to voting to Labour as they seemed to have at least some understanding of economics*

*bar Golden Brown selling our gold reserves for feck all, forgot about that bit
    Last edited by PSRB; 11-15-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Quite, they were the closest I ever came to voting to Labour as they seemed to have at least some understanding of economics*

*bar Golden Brown selling our gold reserves for feck all, forgot about that bit

when he sold it Gold was on a 20 yr downtrend, and if the dot com bubble hadn't burst there is every chance we would have made money on the deal.... he didn't sell all of it, we still have truckloads of gold in reserve

Hmmm. Here’s the thing, though, p: the economy is ALWAYS in a worse state when Labour leave office than it is when they entered it. Unemployment is ALWAYS higher.

And so we vote the tories in to clear up the fùcking mess Labour ALWAYS makes.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Hmmm. Here’s the thing, though, p: the economy is ALWAYS in a worse state when Labour leave office than it is when they entered it. Unemployment is ALWAYS higher.

And so we vote the tories in to clear up the fùcking mess Labour ALWAYS makes.
    So I assume taht you blame the Global financial crisis at Labours door then? A sthey certainly did not **** up the economy prior to that. Boom and Bust was an apt saying by Brown, as that is what always happened before

So I assume taht you blame the Global financial crisis at Labours door then? A sthey certainly did not **** up the economy prior to that. Boom and Bust was an apt saying by Brown, as that is what always happened before
    Where did I say that? Of course I don’t. I do blame them for leaving the public finances in such a place whereby we were less protected than we otherwise might have been, however.

And ‘an end to boom and bust’ was predicated on the economic fantasy of perpetual, uninterrupted growth (which various snake oil salesman were selling at that time). How would we say that worked out?

And I note you haven’t addressed the fact that Labour ALWAYS leaves the economy in a worse state than they find it. Could that be because you know it’s undeniably true?