Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: When is the Labour manifesto released? Eagerly awaiting to see how much

For the love of Christ man learn to present a concise argument! It’s like being battered with words!

Did the IMF loan never happen, by the way? Desperate measures like 98% taxation?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    That data says that's not even true of Atlee even though we had a fully employed semi-command total war economy up until VJ day.

Anyone who thinks that Atlee, Cripps and that govt were in any way economically reckless, or left the economy in any way worse than could have been hoped for is simply being disingenuous or thick.

A quick google shows me that the unemployment rate in 1970 was about the same as in 1964, while inflation was slightly lower.

Do you want the links? So basically your assertion is simply a myth.

The economy was screwed by the unions in 1979, just like they were in 1974. But that Lab govt had had to deal with the 1973 oil crisis. Inflation rose from 8% in 1973 to 22% c.75/6 and had fallen back to 8% by '78/9, meaning it was lower when Sunny Jim left office in spring than it was when Wilson came in in 1974.

Not a too shabby performance, which is why he was 5% ahead in the polls in autumn '78 before the fückwitted Stalinists like Jez called the WoD and condemned us to 18 years of Thatcherism.

Yes, unemployment rose from 2% at the time of the opec crisis, and was around 6% in 1977/8, but was falling slightly under Lab from then on.

So you want to be really careful about causation vs correlation. (Except you don't, do you, because you're simply trying to troll lefties knowing full well none of them can stop work for an hour to google the data as I have.)

But under Maggie, unemployment went up to over 12%. It was higher when she left that when she entered (despite her having had a decade, despite the north sea oil, and despite Lab having had to deal with the full blast of the oil crisis.)

It was still 8% when the Tories left power in 1997, while under Atlee it stayed at about 2%, and under Wilson in the '60s, it was between 2-3%.

Again, if we want to try to separate causation and correlation, let's look at just Blair's decade, which means we don't skew the figures with the final 2-3 years of Brown dealing with the sub-prime crash.

Blair reduced unemployment from roughly 8% to 5% while inflation hovered at around or under 4%.

Oh, and the debt/gdp ratios fell under Atlee 45-51, under Wilson 64-70 and under Blair '97-07 and was basically the same at the end as at the start under Harold and Sunny Jim '74-9.

While it's gone up from 40% to 80% under your mob since 2010.

What's that you say? Down to the crash? In which case you need to make allowances for the oil crisis {and the last 3 years of NuLab}, and if you do that, you'll see that Lab actually left the econ in a similar or better shape than they inherited it.

So basically, B, you're just speaking bøllocks.

Out of interest, what the fück did you study at uni?
    yes, yes, but riddle me this, gg...when is this incessant fúcking rain going to stop?
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Did the IMF loan never happen, by the way? Desperate measures like 98% taxation?
    I don't think it did c. Rather like Black Wednesday never really happened - Norman Lamont running around like a headless chicken raising interest rates at one point to 12% simply because George Soros understood what a nation of deluded kunts we were.

Cost us close to 3billion and that was in '92! - I expect it was Angela Merkel's fault eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    I don't think it did c. Rather like Black Wednesday never really happened - Norman Lamont running around like a headless chicken raising interest rates at one point to 12% simply because George Soros understood what a nation of deluded kunts we were.

Cost us close to 3billion and that was in '92! - I expect it was Angela Merkel's fault eh?
    Whataboutery. Dull.

Whataboutery. Dull.
    Gotcha. Shouting whataboutery is what Monty also does when he has no counterpoint to offer.

For the love of Christ man learn to present a concise argument! It’s like being battered with words!

I would have thought, considering it was B who used the expression "left the econ in a worse state than they found it in" without defining it, that using all three of unemployment rate, inflation rate and debt/gdp ratio would have been acceptable.

Yes there was the imf loan, as a result of the oil crisis. Just like your mob have doubled debt/gdp this decade as a result of the crash.

However, once we take out those shocks and analyse the data, we see that Lab generally kept things stable or made things a bit better while the Tories did worse in some cases.

Basically, it sounds like B heard this assertion on the Telegraph or somewhere and took it as fact, when a quick glance at the data shows it's fake noooz.

Oh, and 98% taxation.

1. It was 95%.
    2. It was started by your mob.

Hence the Beatles song Taxman>

19 for you and 1 for me.
    Haha, Mr Wilson. Haha, Mr Heath.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    yes, yes, but riddle me this, gg...when is this incessant fúcking rain going to stop?
    Still raining in Paris atm. So dunno. St Swithens day? {Whenever that is.}

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    I would have thought, considering it was B who used the expression "left the econ in a worse state than they found it in" without defining it, that using all three of unemployment rate, inflation rate and debt/gdp ratio would have been acceptable.

Yes there was the imf loan, as a result of the oil crisis. Just like your mob have doubled debt/gdp this decade as a result of the crash.

However, once we take out those shocks and analyse the data, we see that Lab generally kept things stable or made things a bit better while the Tories did worse in some cases.

Basically, it sounds like B heard this assertion on the Telegraph or somewhere and took it as fact, when a quick glance at the data shows it's fake noooz.

Oh, and 98% taxation.

1. It was 95%.

19 for you and 1 for me.
    I don’t have a mob.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    Gotcha. Shouting whataboutery is what Monty also does when he has no counterpoint to offer.
    I'm not sure that Monty is the worst offender tbf.

as we know, an argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition. Argument is an intellectual process. Shouting whataboutery is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says.

Oh, and 98% taxation.

1. It was 95%.

19 for you and 1 for me.
    You what? Revolver was 1966.