Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: When is the Labour manifesto released? Eagerly awaiting to see how much

Quote Originally Posted by barrybueno View Post
    Now this is pure genius, did you just think of that or have you already got one in place?
    No, but have thought about it. It would be a cheaper alternative to latex sheets and wiping your old chap on the curtains
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Oh they will be swamped.... BUT, this general idea that Labour **** up the economy was rubbished when the longest run of growth we have ever had was under Blair/Brown. Putting the BOE in charge of setting interest rates was a major cause of this. I seem to remember the Tory cut rates just before the 1997 election purely as a vote winner even though it would have had a detremental effect on the economy
    Hmmm. Here’s the thing, though, p: the economy is ALWAYS in a worse state when Labour leave office than it is when they entered it. Unemployment is ALWAYS higher.

And so we vote the tories in to clear up the fùcking mess Labour ALWAYS makes.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Quite, they were the closest I ever came to voting to Labour as they seemed to have at least some understanding of economics*

*bar Golden Brown selling our gold reserves for feck all, forgot about that bit
    They understood it insofar as they allowed money to be made more than any previous Labour administration. However, they still spent like drunken sailors, which meant we were horribly ill-prepared when the inevitable correction came.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Hmmm. Here’s the thing, though, p: the economy is ALWAYS in a worse state when Labour leave office than it is when they entered it. Unemployment is ALWAYS higher.

And so we vote the tories in to clear up the fùcking mess Labour ALWAYS makes.
    So I assume taht you blame the Global financial crisis at Labours door then? A sthey certainly did not **** up the economy prior to that. Boom and Bust was an apt saying by Brown, as that is what always happened before
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

So I assume taht you blame the Global financial crisis at Labours door then? A sthey certainly did not **** up the economy prior to that. Boom and Bust was an apt saying by Brown, as that is what always happened before
    Where did I say that? Of course I don’t. I do blame them for leaving the public finances in such a place whereby we were less protected than we otherwise might have been, however.

And ‘an end to boom and bust’ was predicated on the economic fantasy of perpetual, uninterrupted growth (which various snake oil salesman were selling at that time). How would we say that worked out?

And I note you haven’t addressed the fact that Labour ALWAYS leaves the economy in a worse state than they find it. Could that be because you know it’s undeniably true?

Oh they will be swamped.... BUT, this general idea that Labour **** up the economy was rubbished when the longest run of growth we have ever had was under Blair/Brown. Putting the BOE in charge of setting interest rates was a major cause of this. I seem to remember the Tory cut rates just before the 1997 election purely as a vote winner even though it would have had a detremental effect on the economy
    It's true. New Labour were economically sound and we all did very well thank you. Corbyn has nothing in common with that project whatsoever.

Where did I say that? Of course I don’t. I do blame them for leaving the public finances in such a place whereby we were less protected than we otherwise might have been, however.

And ‘an end to boom and bust’ was predicated on the economic fantasy of perpetual, uninterrupted growth (which various snake oil salesman were selling at that time). How would we say that worked out?

And I note you haven’t addressed the fact that Labour ALWAYS leaves the economy in a worse state than they find it. Could that be because you know it’s undeniably true?
    That is absolutely nonsense. No doubt you can prove anything with confirmed bias statistical reporting, but an analysis of the state of an economy is a lot broader than unemployment figures or inflation. Your analysis probably isn't.

And I am no Labour supporter, most certainly never will be now.

It's becuase I haven't bothered to go back and check....

I would also suggest the biggest headache facing the economy is Brexit, and we all know which party decided that would be a good idea
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

That data says that's not even true of Atlee even though we had a fully employed semi-command total war economy up until VJ day.

Anyone who thinks that Atlee, Cripps and that govt were in any way economically reckless, or left the economy in any way worse than could have been hoped for is simply being disingenuous or thick.

A quick google shows me that the unemployment rate in 1970 was about the same as in 1964, while inflation was slightly lower.

Do you want the links? So basically your assertion is simply a myth.

The economy was screwed by the unions in 1979, just like they were in 1974. But that Lab govt had had to deal with the 1973 oil crisis. Inflation rose from 8% in 1973 to 22% c.75/6 and had fallen back to 8% by '78/9, meaning it was lower when Sunny Jim left office in spring than it was when Wilson came in in 1974.

Not a too shabby performance, which is why he was 5% ahead in the polls in autumn '78 before the fückwitted Stalinists like Jez called the WoD and condemned us to 18 years of Thatcherism.

Yes, unemployment rose from 2% at the time of the opec crisis, and was around 6% in 1977/8, but was falling slightly under Lab from then on.

So you want to be really careful about causation vs correlation. (Except you don't, do you, because you're simply trying to troll lefties knowing full well none of them can stop work for an hour to google the data as I have.)

But under Maggie, unemployment went up to over 12%. It was higher when she left that when she entered (despite her having had a decade, despite the north sea oil, and despite Lab having had to deal with the full blast of the oil crisis.)

It was still 8% when the Tories left power in 1997, while under Atlee it stayed at about 2%, and under Wilson in the '60s, it was between 2-3%.

Again, if we want to try to separate causation and correlation, let's look at just Blair's decade, which means we don't skew the figures with the final 2-3 years of Brown dealing with the sub-prime crash.

Blair reduced unemployment from roughly 8% to 5% while inflation hovered at around or under 4%.

Oh, and the debt/gdp ratios fell under Atlee 45-51, under Wilson 64-70 and under Blair '97-07 and was basically the same at the end as at the start under Harold and Sunny Jim '74-9.

While it's gone up from 40% to 80% under your mob since 2010.

What's that you say? Down to the crash? In which case you need to make allowances for the oil crisis {and the last 3 years of NuLab}, and if you do that, you'll see that Lab actually left the econ in a similar or better shape than they inherited it.

So basically, B, you're just speaking bøllocks.

Out of interest, what the fück did you study at uni?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post

Out of interest, what the fück did you study at uni?
    I would imagine b studied English Literature or similar. This means that though he may spout doctrinaire tory bóllócks, he does so rather eloquently.