Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I find myself puzzled over the reporting of the events in the House of Commons

So I find myself puzzled over the reporting of the events in the House of Commons

at the weekend.

I keep reading what a disaster it was for Boris and Brexit and how unlikely it is that the deal will be passed before Oct 31 etc etc.

Hmmm.

So 306 MPs voted against the Letwin amendment. Is it not safe to assume that if you didn't support the amendment, you are almost certainly going to vote for the deal as it now stands? And as almost all of the 21 former Tories have indicated that they will vote for the deal and almost all of them also voted for the Letwin amendment, isn't that almost 21 more votes for the deal? And isn't the same also true for the 10+ Labour MPs that have said they will vote for the deal?

And doesn't all that mean that Boris now has 320+ votes?

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    at the weekend.

I keep reading what a disaster it was for Boris and Brexit and how unlikely it is that the deal will be passed before Oct 31 etc etc.

Hmmm.

So 306 MPs voted against the Letwin amendment. Is it not safe to assume that if you didn't support the amendment, you are almost certainly going to vote for the deal as it now stands? And as almost all of the 21 former Tories have indicated that they will vote for the deal and almost all of them also voted for the Letwin amendment, isn't that almost 21 more votes for the deal? And isn't the same also true for the 10+ Labour MPs that have said they will vote for the deal?

Here is what an "expert" has suggested this morning
    1) Government manages to prove it has a majority for its deal today or tomorrow (40%) – Result: We can see the endgame coming in to sight.
    2) Parliament manages to indicate instead approval for a softer Brexit (CU or 2nd ref) (40%) – Result: Near-term general election risks increase.
    3) Parliament manages to indicate a majority for nothing at all (20%) – Result: Near-term general election risks increase.
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

at the weekend.

Hmmm.

Is there a website that can give me a summary of each day as I've no longer have a clue what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    Is there a website that can give me a summary of each day as I've no longer have a clue what is going on.
    All you need to know Pat is that whatever happens Boris is going to win the next GE with a majority. *

*maybe

All you need to know Pat is that whatever happens Boris is going to win the next GE with a majority. *

*maybe
    If people can be arsed to vote. I can't anymore

*maybe
    320-317 in Boris' favour seems to be the consensus
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

at the weekend.

Hmmm.

Isn’t the speaker plotting to derail the second vote? What an embarrassing carry on.

At this stage, nothing can overturn the Letwin amendment other than a specific amendment to overturn the Letwin amendment....

I’m not even sure Emperor Palpatine can sort this win out imo

And what is wrong with AWIMB Pat? We have WES to elucidate for us and

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    he delivers his analyses with such smug assuredness we must assume he has some kind of insight. (helps not to sccrutinize his track record too closely or you'll develop the impression he's talking out of his capacious canadian arse.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    320-317 in Boris' favour seems to be the consensus
    No one knows. NO ONE KNOWS!