Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That first half

That first half

yesterday was as abysmal as anything that a Wenger team ever produced.

I can only conclude that the problem is Xhaka. He's been a kingpin in both manager's teams.
    Yesterday, his passing was good but everything else about his game stunk the stadium out.

It was a bit much to cheer his substitution but even Emery worked out he had to go off and the subs changed the game.

and...Arsenal's football having only imbibed a solitary pint..?

Still, Auba's winner took the roof off

Xhaka out!
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

I think it’s time....

Luiz-Gwen midfield axis

Then Pepe-Willock-Saka the attacking midfielders.

Not 100% sure what’s going on with Torreira. Maybe he just needs some games.

Feel sorry for Gwen...the lad is crying out for a Vieira / Gilberto next to him.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post

I can only conclude that the problem is Xhaka. He's been a kingpin in both manager's teams.
    Yesterday, his passing was good but everything else about his game stunk the stadium out.

It was a bit much to cheer his substitution but even Emery worked out he had to go off and the subs changed the game.

Xhaka out!
    He’s a useless Kyunt, that boy.

Xhaka out!
    Xhaka is actually getting slower. The ease with which players just waltz past him is insane Not the only one though. Plenty of confused performances on show. Similar to the Spurs game. Once we were really staring at a defeat and just had to go for it. Players like Gwen all sprang to life. Before that though there seemed to be total confusion about how they were meant to be approaching the game. The gaps that were appearing for Villa were frightening. Another average side creating chances against us for fun.

Not all bad news though. Auba not taking the penalty was the match highlight for me. Stick to the free kicks instead

Quote Originally Posted by Just Trent View Post
    Xhaka is actually getting slower. The ease with which players just waltz past him is insane Not the only one though. Plenty of confused performances on show. Similar to the Spurs game. Once we were really staring at a defeat and just had to go for it. Players like Gwen all sprang to life. Before that though there seemed to be total confusion about how they were meant to be approaching the game. The gaps that were appearing for Villa were frightening. Another average side creating chances against us for fun.

Not all bad news though. Auba not taking the penalty was the match highlight for me. Stick to the free kicks instead
    Emery being kept in a job by the players being good enough to figure out a way despite him. I'm sorry but we need shot of him asap

Quote Originally Posted by Just Trent View Post

Gwen (along with others) was shockingly bad in the first half. He was certainly at fault for their first. Kolasinac was probably the best player on the park in the first half.

Our midfield allows the opposition to carry the ball for stupid distances and before you know it they are outside our box and our defence is creaking.

When Grealish waltzed into our area for their second Xhaka actually gave up running back. Again.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

He's just a tall Denilson. Doesn't have the engine to make it in the English league.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Emery being kept in a job by the players being good enough to figure out a way despite him. I'm sorry but we need shot of him asap
    Glad you've all finally caught up.

Still, I should be more magnanimous. Not everyone can be blessed with my degree of perspicacity, foresight and wisdom.

Gwen (along with others) was shockingly bad in the first half. He was certainly at fault for their first. Kolasinac was probably the best player on the park in the first half.

Our midfield allows the opposition to carry the ball for stupid distances and before you know it they are outside our box and our defence is creaking.

When Grealish waltzed into our area for their second Xhaka actually gave up running back. Again.
    Players don’t seem convinced about Emery’s tactics/setup and how to execute it. Causing little moments of hesitation all across the pitch. Add those together and we’re seeing those massive gaps appear. Looks to be an issue of Emery’s communication and persona with the players. It’s not going to end well for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Glad you've all finally caught up.

Still, I should be more magnanimous. Not everyone can be blessed with my degree of perspicacity, foresight and wisdom.
    tbf, I've been on the Emery out side since the end of last season. That capitulation was unacceptable