Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Meddle is a fine album imo

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Is you musical, IUFG? I wish I was but am not, so my role was to help carry the equipment, set it up, and then start caning it. Please post liks to your music if you have any.
    My family are the musicians, gg.

I seem to have been left a struggling amateur. Whereas my daughter is pitch perfect...

I can get around a guitar (and therefore bass) and have a few hardware synths -current faves Bass Station II and a TB-03.
    Always struggled with drum machines and hardware sequencers. Ableton Live, Fruity Loops and USB controlled midi have been a godsend tbh.

I've uploaded a few patches, grooves and samples to various websites (Novation, etc) in the past but my attempts at songs are a long way off being worthy of publishing. Still, that hasn't stopped countless others...
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by John Bunnell View Post
    I have a vintage 909 in my loft.
    Get it used or get it sold (got to be worth 2-3K GBP).

It is no good in a loft, jb.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    My family are the musicians, gg.

I seem to have been left a struggling amateur. Whereas my daughter is pitch perfect...

I can get around a guitar (and therefore bass) and have a few hardware synths -current faves Bass Station II and a TB-03.
    Always struggled with drum machines and hardware sequencers. Ableton Live, Fruity Loops and USB controlled midi have been a godsend tbh.

I've uploaded a few patches, grooves and samples to various websites (Novation, etc) in the past but my attempts at songs are a long way off being worthy of publishing. Still, that hasn't stopped countless others...
    What's the diff between this tb-03 and the 303? Just watched a vid. Sounds the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    What's the diff between this tb-03 and the 303? Just watched a vid. Sounds the same.
    Different circuitry and Upgraded for the modern era, I suppose. midi and usb connectivity, on board effects, led display and a simpler step-mode programming feature.

Purists slate it, of course, but then not that many 303s are still around and those that are at c.£2K

Different circuitry and Upgraded for the modern era, I suppose. midi and usb connectivity, on board effects, led display and a simpler step-mode programming feature.

Purists slate it, of course, but then not that many 303s are still around and those that are at c.£2K
    Then why didn't they make it with the bigger dials, like they did with the MC 303 groovebox? I had one of those.

Why would anyone pay 2-3 grand for a drum machine nowadays?

Why would anyone pay 2-3 grand for a drum machine nowadays?
    I think the old, original TR808, TR909, SH101, TB303, etc have got that nostalgic and 'authentic' appeal. Certainly the 303 which production was stopped after 10,000 units now has a scarcity appeal.

Then why didn't they make it with the bigger dials, like they did with the MC 303 groovebox? I had one of those.
    That would be my only criticism, it is as if Roland have tried to make all of the new boutique range, shoe box sized.

Still, they are battery operated if you wish and have built in (shít) speakers. Great if you want to go and sit somewhere and acid it out...

That would be my only criticism, it is as if Roland have tried to make all of the new boutique range, shoe box sized.

Still, they are battery operated if you wish and have built in (shít) speakers. Great if you want to go and sit somewhere and acid it out...
    That would be ideal if only I had the ability to write/programme an acid line. When I've played with a pro's 303, I've had hours of fun, cos the acid lines I'm twiddling are so good. But write my own? You might as well ask me to write a sonnet in Sanskrit.

First time I played with a 303, tripping on lots of top quality acid (perhaps Red Dragons?), I realised how little change to the dial you had to make to change the frequency. The smaller the change, the more powerful it felt.

By the end, I was just just touching the cut off freq or res knob with slightly varying amounts of pressure. Such small changes that I wouldn't been able to feel it if I'd been pressing my own fingertip, not the top of the knob.

And that why analogue's God.

Though I suppose if quantum mechanics is true, there must be a quantum of 303. A point at which the 303 switches from one quantum state (or string to another.)

Though tbh, it wouldn't surprise me if the 303 broke the rules of quantum physics and you could make analogue changes smaller than the smallest string. It certainly fücking deserves to.

I plan to dust it off and wire it back up. I also have a Roland JP-8000. Can't beat that hardware sound.