Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Meddle is a fine album imo

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    Thank you kindly Ganpz - I look forward to exploring these goodies
    Enjoy, mate. If you want some Spiral live sets, (more acidy hard trance than pure London underground acid, let me know.) And do listen to One Night in Hackney. That's where we were based.

Say, we are da ruffest sound system come outta Hack-ney.

Echoes is PF's finest song imo. The rest of Meddle I can take it or leave it tbh. I saw Gilmore play Echoes live at Royal Albert Hall with an insane laser show. I was flying on cocaine it was brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bunnell View Post
    Echoes is PF's finest song imo. The rest of Meddle I can take it or leave it tbh. I saw Gilmore play Echoes live at Royal Albert Hall with an insane laser show. I was flying on cocaine it was brilliant.
    *******s.

One Of These Days.

If you think about the roots of stonking 4-4 bassline tekno, its roots are there.

Just like the roots of acid tekno are in On The Run on Dark Side of the Moon.

Our bass bins were originally from Pink Floyd's Animals tour. Double 15" W-bins. {Drivers point backwards and the sound comes out the front on either side having travelled in a W shape. Much better than 18" bass scoops, some of which I later owned myself.}

But while the rest of the first side of Meddle is a bit take or leave, One Of These Days is a top choon. One of the bestest ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    *******s.

One Of These Days.

If you think about the roots of stonking 4-4 bassline tekno, its roots are there.

Just like the roots of acid tekno are in On The Run on Dark Side of the Moon.

Our bass bins were originally from Pink Floyd's Animals tour. Double 15" W-bins. {Drivers point backwards and the sound comes out the front on either side having travelled in a W shape. Much better than 18" bass scoops, some of which I later owned myself.}

But while the rest of the first side of Meddle is a bit take or leave, One Of These Days is a top choon. One of the bestest ever.
    I hear you. It's a gangbuster tune especially live but the studio version hasn't aged well for me especially when held up next to other later PF records with immaculate production.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bunnell View Post
    I hear you. It's a gangbuster tune especially live but the studio version hasn't aged well for me especially when held up next to other later PF records with immaculate production.
    Disagree.

But then I was into the banging basslines of the London Underground acid sound.

That choon is basically twin basslines as frequencies. My kinda music. Think a 303 with the cut off freq down low and the resonance turned up over a 4-4 bassline that's rumbling the sub.

Listen to the bit just before the vocal sample. Just a rumbling bassline frequency. No wonder God gave us their bas bins for our parties.

Proper fückin' music, that.

Even if the B-side of Meddle was blank (instead of having the best pop tune ever written) I'd still think it one of the best albums ever just for having the first bassline as frequency proto-tekno ever.

Unfortunately, I'm too young to have seen them live.

Got any links to it live?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Oooh. Britannia Row Productions equipment? Mighty fine gear you have there, gg.

I went to a Leftfield gig when they were trying out a new Turbosound rig, my nasal septum was vibrating
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Oooh. Britannia Row Productions equipment? Mighty fine gear you have there, gg.

I went to a Leftfield gig when they were trying out a new Turbosound rig, my nasal septum was vibrating
    Some mates had some Turbosound at the last Tekkie I went to in Italy, about a decade a go. It wasn't a big party so all the rigs got put together to just have once dancefloot.

The Turbosound stuff sounded so much louder and cleaner than all the others.

Some mates had some Turbosound at the last Tekkie I went to in Italy, about a decade a go. It wasn't a big party so all the rigs got put together to just have once dancefloot.

The Turbosound stuff sounded so much louder and cleaner than all the others.
    and a very happy 909 day, of course.

or indeed

“Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

or indeed

Our first live sets were in the pre-808 days. A 606 drum machine connected to a 303 via some wire that was pre-MIDI. Just kept them in time. I'm sure in a later studio, an 808/909 sounded better. But when we just had our rhythm and frequency pwoppa London Underground acid, the 606-303 was perfect.

That was"Persons Unknown" {Huggy and Jay.} They thought Spiral Tribe how to play live sets.

{I had an MC-303 for a bit but I have no music talent. Still made a couple of people happy, including a business class lounge in Athens after our Emirates flights back from Ind (via Dubia) got diverted and all, incl. us plebs, were allowed into the business class lounge.

Plugged it in with a fourway and tiny 10w speaker on the floor. The suit reading the FT in the nearest seat was nodding his head along as I played a fluffy acid trance preset.

But yeah, those where what the musically skilled lads were using in mid-late '90s and early '00s, till laptops took over.

Is you musical, IUFG? I wish I was but am not, so my role was to help carry the equipment, set it up, and then start caning it. Please post liks to your music if you have any.

or indeed

I have a vintage 909 in my loft.