Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ffs Overton will play tomorrow - we were wrong, b

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Indeed - I do think Woakes is off colour, whether a reaction to the World Cup or just to the injuries he's had (and presumably would have been the one to drop out if Jimmy were fit). I can see the sense in Roy dropping to four. Would be tough to bring in Sibley now - one only Championship game in a while and he got 0 and 4. Plus he is more of a sticker than a dasher - as much as we need those I think him and Burns would be a touch negative at the top of the order.

Pope will come in at the Oval should we lose and will definitely feature in NZ/SA. Possible recall for Ian Bell as well
    BELLY!!!!!

I do like the way Bell is currently being reassessed as a product of our golden age rather than the unreliable flat-track bully he was for much of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I mean if you were looking for a like-for-like replacement (swing bowler + decent bat) you'd go for Curran, wouldn't you? Do they think Overton has something that will particularly suit him to OT?

Completely forgot about Curran - that would make more sense. Lumbering 6ft 5 oaf or talented all rounder?

BELLY!!!!!

I do like the way Bell is currently being reassessed as a product of our golden age rather than the unreliable flat-track bully he was for much of his career.
    Very much so - I think he was appreciated more after the 2009 tour to South Africa anyway but the old criticism that he only scored hundreds in innings when someone else got one first seems a luxury these days

I mean if you were looking for a like-for-like replacement (swing bowler + decent bat) you'd go for Curran, wouldn't you? Do they think Overton has something that will particularly suit him to OT?
    I feel for Curran, 12th man for basically the entire summer

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Very much so - I think he was appreciated more after the 2009 tour to South Africa anyway but the old criticism that he only scored hundreds in innings when someone else got one first seems a luxury these days
    Yes. Don't times change, eh?

I always had a soft spot for Bell as I was at the Oval for his debut when he made 50 against the Windies and he just had such a lovely, classical technique. But God, he could be infuriating. A classic case of a chap who averaged 40-odd by virtue of scoring an awful lot of 40s.

Maybe he's got webbed feet and oily feathers
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'

'Now you're unemployed, all non-void
    Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd'